Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Help with speed controlers

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 07:14 PM
jocool282

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with speed controlers

Hello, I was wondering if someone could answer a question I have about a speed controler that I am thinking about ordering. I know that certain motors require certain capacity ESC's. I was wondering if I can use a GreatPlanes C-50 HighPower High Freq. ESC with BEC with any motor since it is the top model ESC that greatplanes offers? I am going to be using it to control a speed600 Magnetic Mayhem reverse rotation motor. Is this ESC going to work ok for me in this use? Or do I need a specific model for the motor that I want to use? Thankyou for your responses in advance!
Steven
Old 09-14-2003, 08:15 PM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: GP C-50 speed controller

Yes, that C-50 will work with any brushed motor. My only query is whether you actually need the full 50A capability with a 600 motor, and whether size/weight is of any concern. This C-50 is physically big, and weighs 34g which is fairly hefty. If you are not going to exceed 30A, then you could be better off with the C-30 which is just under 20g. Half an oz here and there does add up.

Cheers, Phil
Old 09-14-2003, 10:27 PM
jocool282

Thanks for the quick reply Phil! I hadn't taken the added size and weight of the C-50. If I decided to change to a brushless motor later would the C-30 be ok to control that too?
Old 09-15-2003, 07:40 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

No. A brushless motor requires a completely different ESC. Brushless motors run on three-phase AC, and the circuitry to create that current is not the same as the simple on/off switching circuitry in a brushed controller.

Frankly, I would stick with the C50 if you have it... Why spend more money, especially if it's money you don't necessarily have?
Old 09-16-2003, 12:41 AM
rcelectfly

Brushless motors run on three-phase AC
Not exactly, with AC the current runs forward and backward. With a brushless DC motor the current runs only in one direction. There are three windings that the speed controller switches the DC power to, acting just like the mechanical commutator in a brushed motor. AC current is not involved at all.

Chuck
Old 09-16-2003, 02:40 AM
clively

Default RE: Help with speed controlers

One thing you might consider is buying an ESC with a programmable low voltage cutoff (LVC). This would be important if you decide to get into li-poly's later. I don't believe the ESC's from Great Planes provide this feature.
Old 09-18-2003, 10:15 PM
Dr Kiwi

Following up on clively's suggestion for an ESC with LVC - the only one I know of out there is the CastleCreations Pegasus 35P ($49.95) on their web page. If it is anything like their Pixies it will be superb!

Cheers, Phil
Old 09-18-2003, 11:00 PM
jocool282

Wow, I hadn't checked my email in a while! thanks for all the great info!
So if I understand correctly, with the CastleCreations Pegasus 35P I can either run Nicad's or Li Poly batteries? and thta will power speed 400-600 ferrite or cobalt motors? can anyone tell me if the GP C-30 will power the same variety of motors? Like any good modeler I already have my second plane picked out before I have even recieved my first and it uses a speed 400 cobalt motor. If the Pegasus 35P will work for both and the C-30 wont that thats the way I'm going to go....Actually I'm already leaning that way already but I value input from all thoes who have a great deal more experience than I do. Thanks a lot again for all the great resopnses!

Steven
Old 09-19-2003, 07:11 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

The ESC really doesn't care about the type of battery; it can't tell. You can use LiPoly batteries with the C-30, but you lose the protection of the LVC. The LVC on the C-30 kicks in too late. Therefore, you have to be very careful and land as soon as the airplane starts to loose power. If you draw LiPoly batteries down too far, you can damage them.

There is no problem using a larger ESC with a smaller motor. Excess capacity is not a problem. The biggest current draw your ESC will see is with the "600" size motors. Now, if you're planning on using modified car motors, these can draw upwards of 40 Amps or more. A 30-35 Amp ESC like the C-30 or Pegasus 35 simply won't have enough capacity.