Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

gws p-51 4 blade prop, retracts......

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 02:12 AM
flyingjibus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gws p-51 4 blade prop, retracts......

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know that this is probobly a dead horse but I have used the search function to no avail so,
I want to run a gws p-51 with a 4 blade prop and retracts. I have geard that this plane can be a bit underpowered in stock form so my question is this. what is the best motor/gear reduction/battery/esc/prop to do this with? I have no fear of li-poly as I have a charger already, but if it can be done with nimh i would prefer that. I kno that there are people on here who have done/posted this but I cant find it(damn this upgrade) any help will be appriciated and when Im done ill give a complete write up with pics and video. thanks for the help
Old 09-17-2003, 07:27 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: gws p-51 4 blade prop, retracts......

Actually, you can't blame the site upgrade for the lack of information. The electric forums here at RCU traditionally haven't been very active, even before the upgrade, and it's quite likely that the subject of your particular setup has not yet been covered. Perhaps you're thinking of another site? I know the subject has been discussed on other sites in the past.

Anyway, the quickest and easiest way to upgrade the power is to use an 8-cell pack, like 8 cells of 720mAh AAA NiMH cells. If you're using the recommended 6-cell pack, you'll get a ~50% boost in power by going to 8 cells.

The least expensive power upgrade involves retiming the motor. This involves turning the backplate of the motor in relation to the field magnets. I know this has not been covered on this site, and it's a process I'm only vaguely familiar with. There are detailed threads on retiming the motor on ezone in the parkflyers forum. However, you have to promise to bring that information back and post it here

GWS also has a new power system out. It's called the EPS350C. The only difference between it and the EPS300C you have is the motor. The EPS350C uses a hotter version of the Speed 300 motor for more power given the same battery and prop.

As far as the 4-blade prop, that may be a problem. GWS only makes a 10x8 4-blade, which is too much for your existing power system. Either you'd need to cut the prop down to 9" diameter or less, or you'd need to rework the entire power system. I don't know of any other 4-bladed props for parkflyers.