Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

What ESC to use

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 05:30 PM
cotman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What ESC to use

I have a onboard electric starter in my 30% YAK. The 550 brushed starter motor is turned over using a 3c 1800 lipo battery and a 30A ESC, but have burnt out 2 so far. I was told to try a 60 A ESC. I put a meter on it the other day and it only draws about 19A when starting. Am I missing sonething or what. Any help will be appreciated
Old 03-15-2013, 06:23 PM
toywizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What ESC to use

Hello
I am not exactly an expert in this but with all the stuff / toys I have done.................I believe starters draw a LOT of power. Even my hand held draws
a lot of amps during fire up.
I would say go for an 80 or better. Even better yet with a model of that size, use a seperate esc and go for a 150 like some of the monster trucks use.
I know its short bursts but it still draws power like nobodys business. Your prob could be short surges that only an expensive meter might pick up.

Hope this helps.

Scott