Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

ESC damage

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:36 PM
cvint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC damage

Does lack of cooling airflow damage the esc microprocessor ?? Sent my thunderbird 36 in for repairs after 3-4 years of troublefree operation.Now it powers the radio but no motor function. No crash damage.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:45 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: ESC damage

Cooling is critical for al three EP system components : motor, ESC and battery. Yes, excess heat can kill an ESC, but most CC ESCs have thermal overtemp protection. They shut down until they cool off (the DEC circuit still works). Did you put your repaired ESC back in the exact same set-up as it came out of? If heat was the original issue check all solder joints carefully on the motor and the battery.
Walt
Old 05-23-2013, 07:48 AM
cvint

Clarification: I sent my esc in for repairs because the motor would not turn but the radio was operating. i just sent it in yesterday.
I did not want to imply that I got it back in this condition -Castle service has been good.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:56 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have the suspect ESC to troubleshoot then it's a moot point. If you have another ESC,(doesn't have to be the same amperage but needs to be able to handle the battery voltage) hook that up to the motor and see if it will run (without a prop on). Then you will know if your ESC was actually bad.
ESC's need to be cooled but as mentioned when overheated they typically shut down the motor only until they cool off then the motor runs again.
When you had the suspect ESC connected to the motor did the motor play the arming tones when the battery was plugged in?

Old 05-23-2013, 01:34 PM
cvint

The esc made an acending tone which repeated until the battery was disconnected.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:57 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds to me like the ESC was in programming mode. Normal mode tones with the throttle and trim all the way down would be an initialization tone, followed by the 3 tones for a 3 cell lipo then the motor arming tone then silence. The programming mode happens when your throttle is all the way up and you plug in the lipo it will beep until you lower the throttle to start programming.
Maybe you somehow  reversed direction  of the throttle on the transmitter.