Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

ESC problem with new plane

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 01:56 PM
340cudaman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC problem with new plane

I purchased a new 57" airfield p51 Mustang with retracts and flaps. I can't seem to get the ESC to load up. The plugs are in the right spot on the reciever and the batt is fully charged.

Any sugestions?

Thanks,

340cudaman
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0110.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	1,009.0 KB
ID:	1939005  
Old 11-14-2013, 07:40 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does it BEEP? Try reversing the throttle channel, moving trim all the way down, remove any EPA or sub trim.

Buzz.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:00 AM
340cudaman

Buzz,

It does not beep, Tried reversing throttle and trim was already moved all the way down and still won't work.
I contacted the company and was advised the ESC may be bad. My problem is I have had the plane for 2
weeks today and the warrenty is 30 days. My hobby Shop owner cloased last week (does every year) and
goes to Fl. wntill May. If I can't get a hold of him to contact the Co., I will be PURCHASING a new ESC.
Winter snow will be in upstate NY soon so I won't be flying the plane untill Spring anyway. Just upset
the plane is 2 weeks old and the ESC is bad and I may have to shell out $ to replace it.

340CUDAMAN
Old 11-16-2013, 10:54 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well they are not super costly, but still a total bummer. Is it a 40 or 60 amp ESC?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e05-proton-40a.html

http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e06-proton-60a.html

Buzz.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:34 AM
340cudaman

It's a 60a.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:11 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't find a manual for it and it seems to be a simple Hobbywing ESC but did they install a safety/arming switch ? If so the ESC won't arm until the switch id turned on. If there is no switch do the servos work when the battery is plugged in?
Old 11-18-2013, 01:55 AM
340cudaman

Where would the switch be? I looked and can't find 1. The servos and the LED lights do work when the battery is plugged in.
The instructions are the worse I have seen (other than not getting any at all). All that is shown are pictures and some
text on how to put the wings, and the tale sections togather. There are NO instructions on how to hook up the plugs to
the receiver. The plugs are numbered and DO NOT match up with the receiver, 1 has a "UBEC" tag.
As an example, the plug numbered "1" goes to servos in the wing.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:52 AM
flyinwalenda

Again , I don't know if there is a switch on this particular ESC but it would be a small slider switch wired into the ESC.
If you have power to the receiver and some servos working then the ESC is providing 4.8 volts through the throttle plug. Are all of the control surfaces working? If so then you probably do have the plugs into the correct connectors on the receiver. I would check the plug coming from the ESC that should connect to the throttle and make sure that it is the throttle connector on the receiver. Sometimes it's the third slot but on others it's different. Hopefully the receiver position connectors are labeled. Otherwise it's a process of elimination, If the elevator,rudder,ailerons, flaps and retracts work and there are no open slots then the throttle is in the correct slot. If there is an open slot left then you may have the throttle plug in the battery slot/connector of the receiver.
Next thing to check are the three leads connecting the ESC to the motor. All of them need to be connected in order for you to hear tones and for the motor to arm and run. Check for broken wires or bad solder joints. Also as mentioned above the ESC needs to see low throttle/low trim before it will arm provided everything else is correct and depending what model ESC you have the throttle may need to be calibrated before using it BUT regardless if the throttle is reversed or needs to be calibrated the motor should be omitting tones of some kind after you plug a battery in .
Here are some HW ESC manuals: http://www.hobbywing.com/download.asp?id=5
Old 11-22-2013, 12:51 AM
340cudaman

Found the problem. 1st:The motor was not connected, looking from the front it appeared it was (wires were hidden and I couldn't see the connectors).
unbolted the motor and that's when I found them (thought I would have had to return ESC). 2nd:Contacted the Co. again and found out that the
UBEC and the #3 connector are suppose to be "Y" connected to the Thr. on the reciever. There wasn't 1 in the box. They are sending me 1.
They told me to connect the #3 directly to the Thr. on the reciever to TEST ONLY, NOT to fly that way, and they work.
I want to thank you VERY much for all your help.

340cudaman
Old 11-22-2013, 05:25 PM
flyinwalenda

Glad you got it sorted out !