Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

Using two different AMP brushless speed controls

Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Using two different AMP brushless speed controls

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 05:08 PM
apwachholz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using two different AMP brushless speed controls

I'm sure this question has been asked but, unfortunately I can't seem to find an answer after having searched for over an hour. So here it is:

Can you use two (2) different rated speed controls for a twin engine? For example, I would like to use a 25AMP and a 30AMP brushless ESC to run a twin motor assembly (the motors are identical Kyosho ducted fans from an Illusion kit)? Is this possible or recommended?

I think I know the answer but, having additional insight into the reason why would be beneficial. Thanks anyone. Cheers!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:51 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

First of all this may be helpful in the future:

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC POWERED FLIGHT
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm

As for your question, as long as the ESC rating exceeds the draw of the motor it should work, BUT, I would not mix them. Each model of ESC may have a little different timing algorithm or some other subtle difference that may make the two motors run a little differently which might create tuning issues. I would want matched motors AND matched ESC.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:30 AM
apwachholz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up and info Ed (I believe this is you correct?!). Do you happen to know of any resources that discuss the programming logic for a BEC or UBEC brushless speed control? I do agree that it's best to have same type/brand for both power plants when producing any aircraft with a twin engine system. But I'm curious why and how timings are controlled or why they would be different for different brands.

-andrew
Old 02-04-2014, 10:12 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

BEC and uBEC are not an issue. No real logic there.

ESC is the issue. I have never really messed with the logic in the ESC or played with timing. Nor have I ever built a twin, so my cautions are purely speculative. I have no real facts to offer on the subject. I don't really have any good resources to offer either.

But on a twin I would want everything matched.

Even when I build a 6 servo plane I test the servos to look for any variation in rotation rates that might mess up the coordination of the flaps. If they all look the same then it doesn't matter but if one is a little out of synch, that doesn't really matter on the other surfaces but I need the flaps to match as closely as possible.