Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Changing out motors

I have a PK Trojan that I flew about 4 days a week, 3-4 times a day average last yr, yesterday on my second flight I noticed a squealing sound coming from the motor at full throttle. I landed the plane and took it home to check out, I pulled the cowl off to make sure nothing was rubbing, and it was'nt, the motor still had a squealing sound at full throttle. Im guessing the barrings are finally going out in the motor. I do have a motor and ESC from a PK FW190 which is almost new, the problem is the motors are a little different, the motor for the Trojan (part# PKZ4416) is a little smaller and the motor for the FW 190 ( part # PKZ5116) is a little longer, and heavier. The replacement motor for the Trojan is just over $40.00, so my question is should I try to put the motor from the FW190 on the Trojan, or would it be better to just buy the original replacement motor. My biggest concern is if I put the FW190 motor on the Trojan will it throw the ballance completely off? Any advice on this will be greatly appriciated.
    Paul

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    There are cheaper roughly equivalent motors to that PKZ4416... this one is an ounce lighter, $25 cheaper, but might be better: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_850kv_.html
    Dr Phil Millener, Chattanooga, TN

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks much for the info I greatly appriciate it. Im going to check on that motor now.
    paul

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Contact Horizon Hobby. The might replace the motor under warranty.
    Long Island Silent Flyers
    www.lisf.org
    Eastern Soaring League
    www.flyesl.com