Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Smoked ESC

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 05:11 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoked ESC

Hi,
I'm trying to setup the power system on my 3.6 PULSAR glider with no luck.
I don't know much about electric flying and am liking it less and less.
I'm using a Neu motor, 85 amp eRC ESC, with the default settings, Jeti radio, 3 cell 2700 mah LiPo.
With everything hooked up, the motor will run one out of four times, the other times it just vibrates back and forth and I get an immediate low voltage alarm on my Transmitter.
When I disconnect the battery and re-connect it, the low voltage alarm goes away but I still can't get consistent starts.
I've swapped motor wires and nothing changed.
The last attempt smoked the ESC. Before I spend more money on another ESC I'd like to know what's going on.
Thanks,
Jon

I should have been clearer-the JETI radio uses telemetry and I can monitor the Rx voltage at the Tx. The low voltage alarm was from the Rx battery, not the Tx battery.
There must be a short somewhere as the voltage went so low as to cause signal loss.
I did a continuity check on the motor, the resistance between each lead was the same and none of them was shorted to ground.
Thanks,
Jon

Last edited by F106A; 04-26-2014 at 03:54 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:41 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I fly electric gliders and would like to help you. Sound like you have a defective ESC, a miss set LVC or a damaged battery.

Can you post links to each of your components? I need very detailed information.

ESC?

battery?

Which Neu motor?

Gearbox?

Propeller?

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC POWERED FLIGHT
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm

Last edited by aeajr; 05-20-2014 at 05:04 AM.