Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

burning up motors and esc's

Old 03-05-2016, 06:38 PM
bignuggets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burning up motors and esc's

I recently replaced a brushless motor and ESC in a rebuilt plane laying around. The motor is a Gforce 400 and a Castle 30 amp ESC. I used the recommended prop 10 x4.7 slow fly. I ran it stationary for about 1 minute when the ESC caught fire and the motor fried itself. I replaced the ESC with a generic and replaced the motor with a similar 400 size motor. Used a 9 x 5 prop slow fly. Ran the setup again. This time it lasted about 2 minutes at which time I shut down. The ESC was very HOT and the motor would burn your finger if touched. I let everything cool down and dropped the prop size to an APC 7 x 6E. The ESC got quite warm and the motor got hot but not to the point of getting burned. I can only surmise that the bigger props were too much of a strain, even though that was the appropriate setup from the manufacturer. Any thoughts?
Old 03-06-2016, 08:34 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You listed the motor, ESC but what battery? 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s, 6s? If the listed prop was for a 2s battery and you plugged in a 3s battery you would and could melt it. Do you have a watt meter? I think you should get one, it will help you to not let the magic smoke out.

http://www.valuehobby.com/accessorie...wattmeter.html

Buzz.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:31 AM
bignuggets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me clarify a few things. I was running a Turnigy D2826-6 2200kv Outrunner Motor with a 30 amp ESC. on a 3s. I even hooked a 50 amp ESC. The motor still got hot but the ESC remained cool to the touch.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:05 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is an online calc tool. It will give you an idea of what your motor can handle.

http://ecalc.ch/motorcalc.php

From your link, it says this"
[h=3]Suggested Prop: 7x4(2S) ~ 5x5 (3S) "[/h]
So if you are using a 10 inch or 9 inch prop you are way over propping it. Max current is 34 amps.

From one of the comments

"Tony, this motor can easily take 6*4 prop on 3 cell. Anything less than that size prop is perfectly fine. With 6*4, it gets warm on continuous throttle." They are using a 6x4 prop, you are using a 9x5 and 7x6 prop. To much prop.

Buzz.