Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

Which one you think the better for the job; Castle 90 ESC or Cobra 100 ESC ??

Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Which one you think the better for the job; Castle 90 ESC or Cobra 100 ESC ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 10:07 PM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which one you think the better for the job; Castle 90 ESC or Cobra 100 ESC ??

You know, these advertisers don't compare apples to apples when they advertise, and I'm having trouble figuring out which ESC will give more bang for the buck. The Cobra also has a higher rating, while the Castle has a heat sink. I assume the Castle is a switching BEC?..... but they don't say at what Volts and Amps.

I'm going to be using a 4120/14 class of Cobra 710KV motor pushing a 13x8 , or maybe a 14 x10 prop with a 4S 5000mah to a max of about 900-950 Watts with 55-65 amps. Most of the time I'll be at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. But the problem is that it's hot as hell here in Houston, and less heat build up occurring internally will help overall. The plane will be a 8.5 - 9lb Kadet with about 7-8 minute flights.

__________________________________________________ ________________________
Castle Creations, Talon 90 ESC Street Price $60
Input Voltage: 3-6S LiPo
Max Continuous Amperage at Full Throttle: 90A (rating determined with
5mph airflow across the ESC)
BEC Voltage: User selectable 6 or 8V
BEC Output: 20 amp peak, 9 amp continuous
Dimensions: 1.7 x 3.14 x 0.7" (43 x 80 x 18mm)
mounting bracket adds 2mm depth and 8mm width
Weight: 3.0oz (84.5g) with 5.9" (150mm) power wires and no battery connectors.

Tower/Ebay Street Price $60-$62

__________________________________________________ ______________________
Cobra 100 Amp ESC Specifications
Weight (Without Connectors) 69.8 grams (2.46 oz) Max Continuous Current 100 Amps Burst Current rating (15s) 125 Amps Operating Voltage Range 6 to 26 Volts Number of Li-Po cells 2 to 6 cells Number of Ni-XX cells 6 to 20 cells Number of Li-Fe cells 2 to 7 cells Switching BEC Output 6 amps @ 5.5 Volts ESC Size (Inc. Caps, in mm) 72 x 33 x 14 ESC Size (Inc. Caps, in inches) 2.83 x 1.30 x 0.55

Street Price $72.
__________________________________________________ __________________

Your Pick?