Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Is there motor damage with ESC short?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 10:53 AM
roydefiant

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Is there motor damage with ESC short?

I have an electric model with AXI4130 motor and JETI 77 speed controller I have been flying for 10 years. I do not use a BEC but separate power supply for receiver. One of the control surface servos went bad during a flight with crash in a shallow swamp. The model was floating upright but some water had gotten in. I placed nose down and drained the water and shut receiver off but did not have my screw driver with me to open canopy and unplug lipos but throttle was pulled all the way back. While walking back water must have crept into the ESC which promptly shorted out and melted with a lot of smoke.

The lipos appear totally fine. The wires to the motor appear fine and are not melted.
The question is: is it possible the motor was damaged too or just the JETI ESC?

Thanks
Old 05-09-2017, 08:25 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had (2) ESC's let the magic smoke out. One killed the motor, one did not. So I am 50-50 on the motor being damaged. Brother had the ESC on his RC truck let the smoke out, motor was melted too. Might be lucky and motor has no damage. Only way to tell, plug into another ESC and see if it works.

Buzz.