Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

Motor wires thinner than ESC wires, please HELP

Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Motor wires thinner than ESC wires, please HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 09:34 AM
shd3920

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor wires thinner than ESC wires, please HELP

I have a 10gram electric motor that has very thin wires, thinner than the 12amp ESC wires (by at least double) The ESC is 20awg. Can the 20awg ESC wires be soldered directly to the thinner motor wires without any issues?
Old 03-24-2017, 12:38 PM
pilotpete2

Yes, no problem.
The wires on the esc are probably heavier than needed and may just have thicker insulation. The wires on the motor in most cases, are just the actual motor winding wire covered with heat shrink. The 20A esc is probably a bit overkill for that size motor, but that's not a problem. I always use a larger esc than necessary, and in 13 years of running brushless motors, I've never had an esc fail.
Pete
Old 03-24-2017, 03:29 PM
shd3920

Thank you for the quick response. The ESC is 12amps. The ESC wire awg is 20
Old 03-27-2017, 08:56 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your ESC wires were smaller than your motor wires, then you should be suspicious that the specs are mismatched. Fact is you could solder the 12A motor leads to a 75A ESC, basically if the ESC is bigger than the motor needs and the wires are bigger.. then you're laughing and the ESC certainly won't be under any stress. It might weigh more than it has to is about the biggest drawback.

ESC's don't force current upon the motor, they supply what it draws based on the rpm and load. So a big ESC doesn't do anything to a small motor other than perhaps offering less internal resistance and a couple more rpm.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:54 AM
TTF-Nicholas

Hi, it's no problem to solder them together, as long as the MAX CONTINUOUS CURRENT of the motor is NO HIGHER than 12amps.
It doesn't matter whether the motor wire is thin or thick.

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 06-17-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:25 AM
ron_van_sommeren

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by shd3920
I have a 10gram electric motor that has very thin wires, thinner than the 12amp ESC wires (by at least double) The ESC is 20awg. Can the 20awg ESC wires be soldered directly to the thinner motor wires without any issues?
Watery analogy: your 3/8" kitchen watertap pipe is connected to a several inch mains water pipe, no problem.
Pressure and pipe determines maximum current, tap determines actual current.

Controller does not forcefeed motor with electrons.
Voltage, Kv motorparameter and prop determine maximum current, controller determines actual current.

actualPrettig weekend Ron

Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 06-17-2017 at 08:32 AM.