Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Need help identifying ESC

Old 06-02-2018, 12:35 AM
hanskaare

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Need help identifying ESC

Hi! I recently got this fully working esc with a g110 brushless motor. However there is no label on it, and i'm a little bit concerned if it is powerful enough for the motor.

As you can see on the esc all motorwires are red. There is a little magnet type ring for noise reduction on the "servo" cable. It seems to have two coolingplates and there is 2 470uf condensers on it. Printplate is green.

Can anyone help? I suspect it is maybe capable of 60-80A.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:03 PM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One thing I need to correct you on is there are no condensers on that ESC. Those are capacitors. They can act as a DC blocker, a one shot quick discharge battery or an A/C filter, depending on the circuit and where they are installed. A condenser is used to liquefy gasses. They are used in steam engines, refrigerator/freezers and air conditioners. Just an FYI
Old 06-06-2018, 02:18 PM
hanskaare

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hah! My bad. You see, in Norwegian capasitors is called "kondensator", so I was a little quick in my translations i guess.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:31 PM
Hydro Junkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's okay, I've seen other simpler things called far worse than that. One thing I did notice is that the capacitors are rated at 35 volts. Since the average battery runs, at full charge, at around 4.25 volts, that means you're only going to be able to run battery packs of around 8 cells, if the capacitors are on the intake side of the circuit
Old 06-06-2018, 02:52 PM
hanskaare

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well. So far I suspect it to be a Turnigy Aquastar 90A, but mine is missing the water cooling part. The capasitors, powerleads and the magnetic ring on the "servo-lead" is all matching, along with the size of it.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...___store=en_us

This esc is just rated for 4-6 Lipo. The capasitors is on the intake side, yes.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:12 AM
mfr02

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just looking by as a wanderer from the boat section via the link there.
Capacitors and Condensers are the same thing. It just depends on when and where you did your learning about electrical devices. They have the property of blocking DC and passing AC, and of storing a charge, and come in many varieties. In this case, the electrolytics act to smooth out voltage supply variations due to instant loading at the power input of the ESC. I suspect that they are paralleled to give a 1000uF capacitor equivalent. The actual tolerances of value on electrolytics are quite wide, +/- 50% is common. It is good practice to run them on about half their rated voltage to allow for any high voltage spikes coming down the supply, so 4-6S sounds about right.
If the guess at it being originally a 90A ESC with water cooling is right, it will need either a generous finned heatsink for air cooling, or generously derating. As to voltage, there might well be other components limiting what can be used.