Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Brushelss Motors for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 11:45 PM
Tubes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushelss Motors for Dummies

Hey, were can I get a copy of Brushelss Motors for Dummies? I am interested in getting a brushless motor for my 280 powered airplane. I know about electronics and what not, but I am unsure of the size motor to get. I use a gearbox now, do I need one if I go brushless? Most brushless motors list wattages and rpm/volts, how am I supposed to know what my cheapy 280 is capable of so I know how much better a brushless will be? Someone please help me. Thanks.

Reuben
Old 12-09-2003, 06:57 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Brushelss Motors for Dummies

OK experts - here you go ---
I am rather new to all this but here is what I have larnt so far--
you need to select the Type/SIZE of model you are going to fly-
there is no one size fits all-
the least expensive- best bang for the buck -is the new small can Himax stuff
these list for 50 bucks --all others are at least 20- to 75 bucks more .
You need a brushless controller - there goes another 50 -70 bucks.
if you need a gear setup for you model - another 12 -30 bucks .
batteries ?
another - " you havta choose thing"-- 10-- 60 bucks
sit back - make a selection of the type and size models you want to fly - THEN choose the brushless -
There are plenty of guys willing to help who probably have already tried the same type/size models and can give you some good info.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:52 PM
bz1mcr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brushelss Motors for Dummies

I have never owned a brushless, but from what I've read:
280 size is at the very smallest end of the brushless motors I've found. Most manufactures say their smallest brushless is a performance improvement over a 400 or speed 400. There are two types of brushless motors being offered, inrunners and outrunners. With an in runner such as Astro 010 or Razor 300, or the small Himax you will want to use a gear box to get performance compareable to a geared 400. With an outrunner like PJS 300 or Nippy black you can get good performance in a sport model w/o a gearbox. I would suggest you look those over at Hobby Lobby. You'll probably end up with improved performance capability and if you fly it the same as the 280 better flight time. The choice of battery is a seperate issue.