Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

"speed" of motors and prop sizes

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 03:21 AM
clam61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "speed" of motors and prop sizes

could someone please explain what "speed <number>" means on a motor? i assume the higher the number the more faster/powerful? im used to rc cars where you define motors by turns and winds.

also, what do the numbers in props mean?

what is a good guide to know what prop sizes are compatible with what motors?

thanks
Old 02-15-2004, 07:39 PM
jim2
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "speed" of motors and prop sizes

The higher the number usually means a larger motor and should be more power. Since you have car experence you probably know that the numbers are'nt always right. For the propellers the first number is the diameter of the prop and the second is the pitch of the blade.Imagine the prop turning through soft jello--with a 3 pitch it would move 3 inches forward in one revolution.Also diameter usually will give more thrust and pitch is for speed. As far as which prop to use it will depend on motor and what type of plane---sort of like asking what ring and pinion do i use on a track---lot of answers for that.Hoped this helped. Oh yea the turns and size of wire make the same differences as in all electric motors.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:27 PM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: "speed" of motors and prop sizes

The "speed" numbers are a rough reference to the dimension of the motor used by Graupner. Bigger # means a Larger motor. As to prop size it all depends on if the motor is attached to a gearbox or not and how many amps the motor can take without damage to it. I can be very complex so I suggest you download a free (for 30 days) program called Motocalc this program has almost all the answers about this. Electrcalc is anothor similar program. Car motors are also used in planes. Magnetic Mayhem is one example. Better than a "speed" motor.