Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Slow Stick and 1147 props: Don't even try.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 01:11 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slow Stick and 1147 props: Don't even try.

1147 props on a 300 EPS Slow Stick are a waste of money.

I had to fly pretty well full throttle to fly around. Take offs were at least twice as long. Not much power there to get you out of a sticky situation near the ground.

The sad thing is my LHS sold me this prop. You'd think they'd know better. Well, I know better than go there again....
Old 06-15-2004, 06:40 AM
Mark71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Slow Stick and 1147 props: Don't even try.

Yeah I ran out of 11X80 props and went to buy some 10x80 and they wouldn't even get my SS off the ground.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:09 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Well, I don't think the LHS owner sold them to you out of spite or with any malicious intent. More likely, the LHS owner simply didn't know what you were buying them for, or wasn't familiar with what you were buying them for.

What happened is that by going from 11x8 to 11x4.7, you cut your thrust nearly in half. A rule of thumb when buying props is, if you decrease one, you need to INCREASE the other specification to keep the same power level. For example, if the LHS had 12x6 props, that would have been a better choice.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:23 PM
Time Pilot

Matt,

He knew exactly what they were for. This was the same day I purchased other parts for my Slow Stick--also the wrong part.

I am hoping that he sold them to me out of ignorance, and not spite. Still, if you don't know, even if you own a business, you should say, "I don't know if this will work or not. Try it out and if it doesn't work, bring it back and we'll get you the 1180's or 1260's when we get them in stock."

I knew I was going to lose some thrust with the 1147. I was hoping that with less load, the prop might spin faster making up for the lack of pitch. Now I know.

Thanks for the shoulder!
Old 06-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Matt Kirsch

He might've known that they were for a "Slow Stick" and he might even be able to identify one, but does he really know what a Slow Stick is and what effects different sized props will have on it? You can't expect a hobby shop owner to know every little detail about every product he sells. There's just so much stuff out there... Even an avid modeler with nothing else to do but "play" and all the money in the world can't hope to keep pace.

Maybe the "I don't know if it will work or not. Try it out and if it doesn't work, bring it back," goes without saying? That's the way it is with the hobby shops I deal with.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Mark71

I use to work at a hobby shop. Most of the time if I didn't know the correct part I would go look it up in the product guide or look it up on the computer. There shouldn't be anyone saying I don't know. If I couldn't find it in the books or on the computer I would call tech support. All of this took no longer than 5 min. or less.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:19 AM
Matt Kirsch

Not that this is on topic at all, and I blame myself completely for this, but that's not the issue. Both customer and shop owner knew which part they needed, an 11x8 GWS orange prop. The shop simply didn't have any in stock, and the shop owner thought that an 11x4.7 would work to get the customer flying again.

All I'm trying to point out is that a minor mistake like this is perfectly understandable given the fact that a shop owner is running a shop, and doesn't necessarily have time to play, or keep his finger right on the pulse of the industry all the time. Running a hobby shop is not nearly as simple or as easy as everyone believes it is. If you run out of 11x8 GWS props, you can't just order more. You need a minimum order to get anything from a distributor, and a bag of GWS props is nowhere near a minimum order, anywhere. Then the distributor has to have it in stock. If things are out of stock at the distributor, you wait for the ENTIRE order if the missing items make the shippable items worth less than a minimum order. The customer's perception is of a lazy, complacent shop owner when in fact the distributor has him firmly by the ha-has.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:46 PM
Time Pilot

Matt,

Point taken. But I still think the relationship a shop develops with its customers should be important or else we may as well all shop online.

I appreciate a person who does not know and admits it. Pretending to know and being wrong is just arrogant and alienates customers. In another post, I mentioned actually calling the shop, asking for a specific part which they said they had. I drove out there to find that in fact, they did not have it.

That is just stupid business practice yet I would be the stupid one to go back there and buy anything. I get better service, and prices, from online retailers.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:07 PM
Spaceclam

what kind of batteries are you using? maybne he has lipos and the 11x4.7 props are just fine.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:02 PM
connolly

I know this is totaly off the subject but do any of you guy's live in Idaho??
Old 06-17-2004, 07:15 PM
Time Pilot

I am using 8.4V 650 mah nimh batteries. I would guess the performance of a Slow Stick with 7.4V lipo's would be fairly close to the 8.4V after Volts and weight is considered.

And I am not from Idaho. Although I would be interested in knowing how this thread created thoughts about Idaho.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:44 PM
connolly

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a good flying feild over here in ID. And if your wondering how that came to mind I don't even Know. By the way you said you used a 8.4V 650 mah nimh. Whats does the 650 mah stand for[sm=confused.gif]
Old 06-17-2004, 10:50 PM
connolly

Hey the weirdest thing just happend when I wrote the reply (above) It all of a sudden said that I was the auther of this page. and then were it says the amount of replys it said N/A. Did that happen to you guys.[X(]
Old 06-19-2004, 01:11 AM
Time Pilot

Connolly,

mah is the term that refers to the capacity of the battery. The larger the 'mah' of a battery, the more capacity it has. Kind of like having a larger gas tank.

I think it stands for Milli Amp Hours. Someone is sure to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:11 AM
connolly

Thanks
Old 06-21-2004, 11:23 PM
NCQ3

I use 1080 on my slow stick and flies great! I have pico size servo's and gws esc 300, 1080 will work on a light setup, if your using standard servo's u might have xtra weight . and need bigger props. they say any flight pack works for the slow stick , but you have to set up the right props and battery to get it off the ground. In general try to get the lightest pico size servo's and micro receiver any brand as possible to avoid any problems. going really light opens the option of getting bigger batteries and motor if your using nimah. also opens the option of adding a micro camera or digital camera for aerial photography.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:22 AM
Hootcher

I looked into this post because of the 1147 prop issue
I am a NEWBEE to E-Flight and just purchased a Slow Stick, 11/8 stock prop as provided with plane, a E-Flite 370 4100KV Motor upgrade,a Phoenix-25 amp ESC by Castle Creations, and KoKam 11.1v 1500 mah 3 cell battery and the Triton Electrifly charger.
The only issue I have so far is the motor gets HOT within a minute of static run at 1/2 thrtl.
I don't have any way to check the amp draw right now, but a Good Friend has the same set up and has checked it with an Astro Flight meter and told me the amp draw difference is extreme.
The first Tech at Horizon said I needed to change to a 1147 prop to cure the motor heat issue.
The second Horizon Tech, who asked those that actually fly the Stick said just fly it and if the motor goes south send it in for free replacement.
I have worked with Horizon before with an issue on my Saito 91s and the service was great.
However I think I will have to keep a close eye on the ESC and Batt for heat, I doubt if they would replace either of those if I smoke them.

Hootcher
Old 07-02-2004, 02:25 AM
Time Pilot

If your motor spins the prop faster than the stock setup, you should be fine. But stock, the performance of the 1147 on a 8.4V nimh battery was anemic.

You can always try it and see.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:23 AM
kennydee

Guys!! This is a SLOW STICK, say it with me--SLOW STICK. Some people like to fly with an 11/4.7 prop because, you guessed it, it's SLOW. It's not like that was an expensive part, what did it cost, 3 bucks. Keep the prop, it's likely you will find a need for it on another plane. I agree with Matt (someone who has given me much good info) this is a very minor mistake. I fly my stick with either an 8 cell nimh pack (730 milliamps) or one of the new HD 2 cell lipol packs (1500 milliamps). I like to use either a 10/8 or 11/8 on mine, and sometimes I use a 12/4.7. Even at that voltage you should get dozens of flights out of this motor. You can replace this little motor for about 8 dollars and the motor and gearbox is only about 20 dollars. So, Please, don't dis the guy over a 3 dollar prop unless he's done something else you're not telling us.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Matt Kirsch

Hootcher,

What was the Amp draw? Surely if your friend measured it for you, he told you what it was. He's not much of a friend if he measured Amp draw for you but then kept the information secret...

You're probably drawing WAY more Amps than either the battery or the motor should be seeing.

Stock power for the Slow Stick is a 7-cell pack, which is about the same as a 2-cell LiPoly. You increased the Volts by 50%, which in turn increased the Amps by 50%.

Normal Amps for a Speed 300 is around 7 Amps. Increase the Volts from 8.4 to 12.6, and you drive the current up to about 11 Amps.

Too bad there are no specs for the Park 370 motor on Horizon's website. On top of that, you can't expect the guy on the other end of the phone to understand electrics, which is why you got two different answers. The first answer was the correct one; if the motor is getting that HOT that quickly, you've got too much load on it. Reducing the propeller size and/or pitch is the easiest and cheapest way to reduce prop load. The second guy just didn't give a darn, and told you to continue abusing your motor until it burned out.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:15 PM
Time Pilot

Kennydee writes:

"Guys!! This is a SLOW STICK, say it with me--SLOW STICK. Some people like to fly with an 11/4.7 prop because, you guessed it, it's SLOW."

kennydee

I'm wondering if you've ever flown a stock 300 slowstick with a 1147? To me, putting the 1147 is like tying your shoelaces together and going for a run. Why bother? The 1180 will fly it much better. If you want to go slow, go half throttle or less. What point could there possibly be in having to go to 3/4 throttle just to fly slow?
Old 07-02-2004, 08:56 PM
Hootcher

Sorry, Like I said I am a NEWBEE to Electric Planes and I also forgot a very important part, the Motor gets hot with no prop. which I did tell both Techs at horizon.
I did not list the Amp draw because I could not remeber exactly what my friend had said it was. I have a very bad memory since my By-Pass. I even have a coat with my name on it
Anyway he did give me the number differences between packs etc and as I am saying now, I just don't remember, only that he said the difference was Extreme.
Not so much in a "That's Bad Thing" way either.
He has the same set-up as mine and is flying with a 11/8 as well and sais it is GREAT.
As for the guys at Horizon the first one just said change the prop size and basically hung up.
The second guy, however took the time to ask what I had for a ESC and what Battery.
Then he admitted he wasn't exactly sure so he asked me to hold while he asked some of the Tech's that actually fly the Slow Stick. They said the motors can and do get hot or it may be a bad one, it has happened. He guaranteed they would replace the motor should it fail.
I am sure he could sense I was anxiuos to get flying, aren't we all?
Maybe I will have to call it a FAST STICK :^)
Thanks to all for your input.
Hootcher
Old 07-03-2004, 12:21 AM
Time Pilot

ORIGINAL: Hootcher

I have a very bad memory since my By-Pass. I even have a coat with my name on it
Hootcher
Well, I would like to suggest if you ever find yourself in the middle of a field with this box in your hand with a silver thing stickin' out of it and you wonder what you're doin' there, look up!
Old 07-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Hootcher

Thanks for the TIP.
However my long term memory is great and I did race Pan Cars for many years.
Only hope I don't look down instead.[&o]
Hootcher
Old 07-06-2004, 02:25 PM
kennydee

A note to Mr. Pilot. Of course I've flown a slow stick. I've owned several. My first "Stick" helped me learn to fly and I fly them now, cause they're fun. I also use one of my "sticks" to teach new flyers. I always use the 11/4.7 prop on the teaching stick because it is slower and easier for the beginner. But, I also use the newer HD 2 cell Lipols that deliver better amperage under load. With this set-up the plane will fly very slow but steady, great for beginners. Now, on my Funstick I like to use the 10/8 prop, it's a good combination of performance and flight time. Another key is weight, if you built your "stick" a little on the heavy side, then it won't fly well with the 11/4.7 prop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.