Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

DSP4 - HiMax connection question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 07:37 AM
Dale3Jr8
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSP4 - HiMax connection question?

OK...I have a DSP4 receveiver/ESC and a Himax 4100 motor but I am not sure how to connect them. The motor has 3 wires (Black white and red) and the ESC from the rec. only has 2 (Black and Red). Can I just leave the white connector from the motor off or do I hook it up with one of the other ones or am I just SOL and need a whole new ESC? Another question...what differences can I expect from going from a 2cell LiPo to a 3cell? I allready have a 2 cell 1200mA pack and a 1-2 cell charger, so upgrading to a 3cell pack would also mean a new charger...is the performance increase worth the extra money, or I am only looking at a slight power boost and loner flight times?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer,
Mike
Old 08-25-2004, 09:10 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: DSP4 - HiMax connection question?

I'd say SOL. I'm not familiar with that ESC, but it sounds like it's for a brushed motor if it only has 2 wires. And it just flat won't work with the brushless motor.

As for the batteries... It all depends I guess on what you want to do with the 4100. All things being equal, you will get a big performance boost by going to 3S. But if you experiment with gear ratios (is it even in a gearbox??) you could get the 4100 to run OK on 2S.

Post some more info on what you are trying to do, but I'm afraid your ESC is not going to do you any good.

There is another fellow in a similar predicament Here
Old 08-25-2004, 12:46 PM
tony_kilwein

you have a brushed motor contr and a brushless motor
They are not compatible.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:12 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

If I'm understanding this....

I believe a brushed motor is acting in the traditional DC (direct current) mode, so it has 2 wires (+) and (-). Brushes reverse the current and make the motor run. A brushless motor is really a motor acting in the AC (alternating current) mode. It doesn't need brushes to reverse the current, because the current is pulsed alternatively +, then -. It needs 3 wires, a (+), a common (-) and a ground (G). The ESC for a brushless motor delivers completely different current to the motor....they are not only NOT compatiable but there is no way to make them compatiable after the fact. Also since the battery is a DC source, an ESC for a DC motor is cheap to make, its basically a circuit that increases the availability of the battery. An ESC for an AC-brushless style motor has the added circuit task of changing the DC source to an AC source and thats why they cost a heck of a lot more money.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:44 AM
Dale3Jr8
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the reply's...obviously I am very new to this electric flight thing but I am trying to put together a 3D Foamy Edge 540. Am I now better off going with a new motor or a new ESC and Receiver? Obviously a new brushed motor (thinking a GWS350) would be the easiest and certainly the cheapest but just how much would I be loosing in power? Also, I understand that a brushed motor is expected to have 'expendable' parts. Things that go bad on a regular basis...can anyone tell me what these are, what I need to have on hand for replacements? And also what power source would be best for that type of motor? Is the 2Cell 1200mA that I allready have okay or should I go with a 3Cell like I was planning with the Himax Brushless motor? Sorry for all the ignorant questions but I have no other help here. I am flying in Okinawa Japan and everyone here, including myself, flys glow engines.

Thanks