Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

***Help on an Electric C-130 *****

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 06:48 PM
bobbart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***Help on an Electric C-130 *****

I have purchase the below C-130....still waiting for shipment. I have a few questions:

http://www.eam.net/EAMRC/skunkworks/C-130/C-130.htm

1. The C-130 has 4 Propellers I’m looking to purchase and replace the 2-blade prop with a 4 blade prop?
Do you know where I can purchase the props?
2. I would like to have more powerful motors, what
Brushless motors do you think I should purchase.
3. I would like to use TWO lipo batteries? Should the batteries be in series or parallel? Will this work? What
Size batteries should I purchase?
4. What about an Electronic Speed Control, which one should I get for this setup?
Thanks
Bobbart
Old 09-03-2004, 07:29 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: ***Help on an Electric C-130 *****

I think you're going to have major problems finding a 4-bladed prop that small. There isn't much demand for them, and I personally have never seen one smaller than 10" in diameter. Plus, it will have to be so small that it will look ridiculous; for each blade you add you need to reduce the overall diameter of the prop so you don't overload the motor. The rule of thumb with typical 10" props is reduce diameter by 1" for every additional blade. Translated down to the 5" blades on the 280 motors, you're down to 3".

Before you consider brushless, consider that you will have to have FOUR brushless controllers as well. Brushless motors don't get along very well when sharing a single controller. Sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesn't, and that's with only two motors on the controller. The controller needs to be able to sense what the motor is doing in order to sequence the pulses it sends properly. Think of it like two people talking straight into your ear at the same time. If they're saying the exact same thing at the exact same time, you can hear them, but how often does that happen in normal everyday life? Long story short: Meg*****$!

Should the batteries be in series or in parallel? Well, that depends. Depends on how you wire the motors. Depends on the batteries you buy. There are many possibilities. For the stock 280 motors, I would personally get one 30 Amp ESC, and wire all four motors in parallel. Speed 280s are limited to about 7 cells, which is perfect for a 2S LiPoly. The Amps a 280 draws are not that impressive. A single 2S Kokam 1500 pack would probably handle it if you didn't romp on the throttle too hard, but two in parallel would be better. Any 2S LiPoly pack that can handle 16-20Amps would be fine.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:21 AM
bobbart

Thanks for your inputs.
OK I will forget the Lipo's and use Nimh or Nicad packs.
What about this setup:
Four 400 motors using Nimh or Nicad packs?
Which is better Nimh or Nicad?
What are the best sites to purchase this setup?
Will I only need one ESC?
How should I set this config up?
The 4 bladed props is only for Realistic Look
Thanks
Bobbart
Old 09-23-2004, 11:32 AM
benliu
My Feedback: (1)

Matt,
How do you hook up two brushless ESCs to one receiver? I don't think a Y connector will work.
In my case, there is only one battery.

Thanks,
Ben Liu
Old 09-23-2004, 02:04 PM
Mike Parsons

ORIGINAL: benliu

Matt,
How do you hook up two brushless ESCs to one receiver? I don't think a Y connector will work.
In my case, there is only one battery.

Thanks,
Ben Liu
That is exactly how you would do it.

-Mike
Old 09-24-2004, 07:37 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Yep. Y connector from the ESCs to the receiver, and a Y connector from the main battery to both ESCs.

I don't think having both BECs connected will cause you an issue, but you can pull the red wire out of the connector on one, and tape it back to "disable" the BEC.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:46 AM
Mike Parsons

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch
I don't think having both BECs connected will cause you an issue, but you can pull the red wire out of the connector on one, and tape it back to "disable" the BEC.
Good advice Matt. I would definately disable one of the BEC's

-Mike