Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

***counter rotating propellers on a C-130?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 04:40 PM
bobbart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***counter rotating propellers on a C-130?

Does the below Article refer to this C-130 which I building, please go to link below to see the plane.

http://eapg.org/Reference/C-130/Instructions.htm

Article:
On a two motor airplane that one motor turns the propeller clockwise and the other motor turns the propeller counter clockwise. Because the motors run in different directions (and the propellers turn one clockwise and the other counterclockwise) you eliminate the need for right thrust.
-on a four motor airplane you will have one wing with two motors turning clockwise and one wing with two motors turning counterclockwise.
If the design of the plane is not originally for counterrotating motors (and propellers) you will have to eliminate the rightthrust that is normally build in the way the motors are mounted.

Thanks
Bob
Old 09-15-2004, 07:27 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ***counter rotating propellers on a C-130?

If you're not an experienced builder, I would recommend against making major modifications to any design like that. The full-scale C130 was designed with all engines turning the same direction, and presumably the model was as well. I know of only one full-scale airplane with counter-rotating props, and that's the Lockheed P-38 WWII fighter. Even then, the French or the Itailians (can't remember which) had Lockheed produce a special version with both props spinning in the "conventional" direction.

Counter-rotating props also opens up a whole new can of worms. Mainly, it's in finding matching propellers. You need two reverse-pitch propellers that are mirror images of the conventional-pitch props, and finding them is no easy task.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:24 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: ***counter rotating propellers on a C-130?

I agree with Matt, that unless you're a VERY experienced builder, I would not recommend that mod.
(ditto if you're not an experienced FLYER )

there are however several full scale production airplanes that use counter-rotating props...
the Beech Dutchess, the Russian "Bear" and the Cessna 337 for example. (well, the 337 gets in on a technicality )
http://yarchive.net/air/airliners/p_factor.html