Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

superstar ep general electric motor questions

Old 12-16-2006, 07:19 PM
RD55

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: superstar ep general electric motor questions

prop should say 10/6E don't use any that say slo or sf or slow-flyer.. make sure they say E, they can take RPM's.. rog = roll off ground.... much better than tossing...
Old 12-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Calcomputers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the information. Do you have any experience with the Master Airscrew brand propellers? They have the 10/6 & 11/6 electric props. [link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVSEARCH=lxngv3&FVPROFIL=++&search3=Go[/link]
Also, APC always mentions balancing the props. Do they all need this or are they trying to sell their balancer?
Thanks
Old 12-17-2006, 02:04 PM
RD55

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

much to everyone's dismay, i have never balanced an apc prop. BUT, they are the most razor-sharp props made.. BE AWARE......
Old 01-10-2007, 12:52 PM
Calcomputers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I finally got the Phasor 15/3 and 30 Jeti ESC with a 3 cell 2100 LiPO. The weather here has been way too windy to fly but I have been testing static in the basement. I have a 10/6 prop installed and when I run this there is incredible pull, but the ESC get very warm within about two minutes and goes into thermal shutdown. My inline ampmeter shows spikes up to 40A at WOT!! Is this problem because I am holding the plane down and there is maximum resistance? While in actual flight will the amps be less and cure the heat problem? Thanks

ORIGINAL: RD55

did mine with phasor 15/3 and jeti 40 esc. 3 cell 2000 thunder power... you won't believe the differance.. 20 + minute flights and all the power you could ask for.... the phasor slips right into the 600 can motor mount.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:40 PM
RD55

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

absolutly, and you will not need full power... i fly mine in the wind. at our field wind is standard issue. just fly and enjoy!!
Old 01-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Calcomputers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RD55

i had it on hand... 30 amp is fine. you will need to raise the back of motor with one washer on each bolt. with more power the plane will want to climb. also it will ROG well. 10/6 or 11/6 apc prop also will help....

I tried a 10/6 prop with the Phasor 15/3 and a 3C 2100 LiPO. I bought the 30A combo ESC and it seems to draw too much amps. Hobby Lobby recomends much smaller props for this power setup. If you are getting 20 minute flights, you must be running 1/2 throttle or less. With this power setup, I don't see the long flight times. If you are drawing average 20A with a 2100 mAh battery, the math says it's only going to fly 6.3 minutes. Have you put your setup on a AMP/Watt meter? Sorry to keep questioning this, our weather hasn't been anywhere close to flyable for the last week, so I have only been able to test static in the basement.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:33 PM
RD55

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have no way of checking amps, but i know the plane and can read a watch.... i do fly at less than full as there is a ton of power......just forget the techie stuff and fly the plane. that is where the fun is!!!!!!! p.s. all the charts, graphs and stuff are only on paper.. the plane is as i said: a great and easy flyer..just enjoy and don't try to analyze. to quote a line from the movie " jerimhia johnson = a bear don't know how many legs a horse has" fly your plane.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:45 PM
pcsketch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Superstar EP replacement motor is 12 bucks, on my second and got a long time untill I need another. If you want more power go buy another airplane.