Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Speed controller for My smoke pump?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 11:47 PM
ParticleMan
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed controller for My smoke pump?

I have an older style don harris smoke pump that is basically just a brushed motor with some pump gears on it. I'd very much like to not use a mechanical rig to turn this on and off, I'm not really interested in even mixing the pump with my throttle. I've read about people using speed controllers to controller their smoke pumps. I have a shockflyer, I'm familiar with their setup which is why I have this question. I'm looking at the Great Planes C-5 or the GWS baseline brushed ESC, how would the BEC work into this? I'm running dual batteries on my RX, and if the BEC is turned ON (which both of these ARE) wouldn't this interfere with my primary battery setup? Can you turn the BEC off on either of these ESC or is it nothing to worry about? I'm confident the setup will work, but I'm not sure of the side effects of the ESC feeding juice to my RX when it doesn't need to be.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:16 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Speed controller for My smoke pump?

Any BEC can be effectively "disabled" by simply pulling the center pin out of the connector that goes to the receiver, and taping it off. The ESC itself is getting power from the smoke pump battery, so all it needs is a signal line and a common ground.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:22 AM
ParticleMan
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Speed controller for My smoke pump?

Thank you VERY MUCH, that is exactly what I wanted to know!