Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Kontronic Motors and ECU

Old 01-07-2005, 04:42 PM
The Flying Scot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kontronic Motors and ECU

Can anyone advise what size prop can be used with a Kontronic Fun480 and Jazz 55-6-18 Controller and a 3200ma 4s2p Lithium Battery. I was using an 11*6 but now it seems to much for it.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:04 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Kontronic Motors and ECU

What gear ratio?

What "3200mAh 4S2P lithium battery?"

What made you think that the 11x6 prop was too much?

Maybe in the absence of other people that have experience with this particular combination, we can figure it out, but I need this additional information.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:05 AM
The Flying Scot

Default RE: Kontronic Motors and ECU

HI Matt,

Gear ratio 4.2:1
Batteries are from Flightpower in the UK.
I have a few of their packs rught upto 10s4p 8.0ah for my maxi joker. The 3200mah are rated at 15C. I used to run a 12 x 6 but then had to drop to a 11 x 6, now this seems to much as it shuts down after about 45 seconds.

I think I have discovered what the problem is.
During the summer months there was no problem but as the temperature has dropped the batteries are not as efficient. When monitoring the pack voltage when running the motor outside the voltage drops very quickly to the LVCO (low voltage cut off) point but at room temperature inside there is no problem.
I have also discovered that if I send the ECU back to Kontronic they can change the LVCO from 3v / cell down to 2.7v / cell, this may help.

I did try running the system outside with the LVCO disabled and the voltage dropped down to about 10.6v then started rising again and gave a full motor run. I presume the voltage rise is due to the packs warming up again.

I think the answer is to get the ECU updated and keep packs warm unti required when operating during the winter.

Arthur