Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

HELP!!! NEED MORE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 08:41 PM
touch n go 13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! NEED MORE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have just finished building my ifo. on the first flight I immediately noticed that I need more power. It flys but just barely. it will climb at about 1in per minute. Right now i am running an electrifly 280 motor to a 4:1 gearbox with a apc slowflyer 10x4.7 prop. I also have an electrrifly c-10 esc and an electrifly 1200mah 2 cell lipo. Does any one have any CHEAP suggestions such as a motor upgrade, prop ,or gearbox. A 3-cell would be my last resort b/c of my tight budget(14yrs old and make my money by mowing grass, which isnt the most profitable job in the winter) but I am open to any CHEAP suggestions. Thanks alot for your help
justin
Old 02-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP!!! NEED MORE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've got the right idea about electric power. A higher-voltage battery would give you more power, but you overlooked one critical factor, the capacity of the motor. No way a 280 will take the excessive RPMs... You'd need a different motor too.

Let's look at other avenues to upgrade performance.

First, a larger prop. Again, you run into motor capacity issues. Bigger prop draws more Amps. Draw too many Amps, and the motor burns up. Same thing with a lower ratio gearbox... A 280 is only good for about 4 Amps before it goes pffft!

You're going to need a higher-capacity motor anyway, so why don't we fix the problem with a different, "hotter" motor? I think a direct swap-out for a 300 would give you the performance you're looking for. One thing you might need to do is run a smaller prop because of the huge difference between a 280 and 300 as far as their behavior at a given voltage.