Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
I just might buy
50.00%
no thank you
50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

56mm, 24 pole brushless motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Spaceclam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 56mm, 24 pole brushless motor

i have access 56mm stator, 24 pole brushless outrunner setups, however in order to work for our planes i would need to rewind them and put magnets ETC. Would anyone be willing to buy if i were to start assembling them?
such a stator would give you loads and loads of torque, but due to my lack of ability to accuratly machine parts, the bearings would most likely be the stock plain brass ones and the rotor would be the stock steel one, but i can polish or paint it. however, i could use 2mm thick magnets for extra power due to the diameter of the rotor. what do you guys think?
please vote so i can see.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:54 PM
Spaceclam

Default RE: 56mm, 24 pole brushless motor

come on guys! i would like some feedback here!
Old 02-08-2005, 07:34 PM
pikeman401
My Feedback: (1)

I'm not real savy when it comes to motor construction or what really makes a motor do what it does but what the heck I will look at anything that has a load of torque.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Spaceclam

maybe this will help a bit:
the stator on an outrunner brushless motor is the piece that has all the windings on it. see, what happens is with brushless motors, the windings stay still and the magnets rotate around them rather than something like on a brushed motor, where the windings rotate and the magnets are fixed. with a brushed motor, you have physical friction from the brushes which robs power, at higher voltages the carbon brushes begin to resist the current we apply which makes them extremely inneficient, the brushes will actually fly a bit on the commutator which causes a lot of electrical loss, electrical noise, and due to the decreased power goingto the motor, will rob it of power as well.

as far as the construction, a brushless outrunner consists mainly of a bearing tube, a stator, a rotor, some bearings and a shaft. the stator stays still so you gain all the efficienty you would loose if you used brushes, and it allows for more torque at reduced speed which is more efficient than less torque at higher speeds. so a 56mm stator has a load of torque due to it's size, (roughly 2.2 inches) and has even more torque because of the number of magnet poles. on a 9 pole stator, you will have only 3 poles pulling on a magnet at any given point except if there is any phase crossover, whereas with a 24 pole stator will have 8 pulling at any time. this however means that it will run much slower, however that is the entire point and usefullness of gearboxes is that slower and larger is more efficient and provides more power.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Spaceclam

also, for whoever posts their interest in this site, if i begin to assemble these, i will try and contact you in the order in which you popped in. i will do any winding, number of turns, or gauge wire you want.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:37 AM
26C4U

How much will the thing cost? What planes can it handle in what particular set-up?
Old 02-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Spaceclam

It depends. i have not yet measured thrust, and i have not run mine yet due to the fact that the magnets i got were the wrong ones and i am waiting on some others to come in. currently i am just looking to see if there would be any market for these. however, for the 2mm magnets it costs abou $17, (i need 32 of them) plus about $3 for the windings, and a little bit of labor i would probably sell for $35 or so, but again, this is just to see what kind of demand is out there so i can decide whether to assemble them. i have rewould multiple brushless motors already with great sucess, and i really have some hopes for this...
Old 02-09-2005, 10:58 AM
thejc

I may be able to machine your housings for the bearings. Let me know what is needed.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Spaceclam

if you were to devote the time to machining out the necessary parts, i would definatly split whatever earinings i get with you. PM me if you are interested.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:06 PM
26C4U

I believe there will always be a market for this as long as the price is competitive and people know what they are getting. The poll you started might mislead you because it's very easy for people to just cast in their votes (unless it's choosing the lesser evil between republicans vs democrats) but in reality they won't invest their cash in an untested product. Since I am convinced that you'll go ahead with building at least 1 motor anyway no matter how the poll turns out, I suggest that a motor be built then strap it in a prototype plane and document the flight on video then post it here. If we see a video of it, I'm sure the motor performed very well. You might get your hands full just taking orders. By then, I suggest you hire employees and I won't be surprised if I see a company selling brushless motors with a mushroom logo.
Joseph
Old 02-09-2005, 10:28 PM
Spaceclam

i think i will have to. problem is that i do not have a plane suitable for the motor and i am pretty broke.[:'(]
i can, however hook it up on a test stand and see what happens, and tape it.
at any rate, the magnets should be here by monday's post so i can probably get some good video of it running then.
right now i am not expecting anyone to invest money in it. i am just looking to see what the interest would be at this time.
Cheers,
Clam
Old 02-09-2005, 10:47 PM
26C4U

Hey clam, since you're into e-motors, unlike me who knows squat other than the color of + and - sides. I wonder if you know how to open a Himax 2025. I need to replace the broken shaft. I posted a thread, hope you could chime in. Thanks
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Open...2637466/tm.htm

PS if I live anywhere near you, I can loan you money to buy a suitable plane, then if the motor works out fine, you can build 1 for me as payment for the plane. How's that?
Old 02-09-2005, 10:57 PM
Spaceclam

unfortunatly, i live in southern california and you live in the phillipines.[:'(]
i appreciate the generosity though.
however, i do not know how to open up a himaxx 2025, the reason i got into DIY brushless is becuase i do not have the $$$ to afford my own, and it comes out cheaper this way.
you may want to contact the guys at www.maxxprod.com and see what they can do. as far as i know, the himax motors are a name owned my MPI (maxx products international)
Would any of you guys out there be willing to do a test run to see what my efficiency and stuff is?
Old 02-09-2005, 11:11 PM
Spaceclam

another thing. all the parts on these motors are replacable, and the stators and the rotors can be interchanged. if for some reason you break/damage a rotor, i can replace it for you, of you can replace stators that got damaged/burt out, or just change them alltogether if you want your motor to perform differently. these motores are NOT SEALED and will require silicone lube for any bushings and NOT wd-40 or equivelant. right now i am just using what motor parts i have, but i hope to find a single, usable motor type to assemble.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:07 AM
26C4U

Thanks for the link. I just e-mailed maxxprod. Hoping to get a reply soon. Goodluck on your business venture. Don't forget to let me know if the motor turns out OK 'cause I'm ordering 1.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:42 AM
Spaceclam

ok. right now i am experimenting with a high impedance motor (.5 ohms) and that may be a little high, but i could use 24 gauge and less turns to brings my speed up, amps up, and impedance down.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Spaceclam

Would anyone be interested in just buying the bearing holder/stator/bearings and can alone for a reduced price?
i am not giving up, but some people may want to do it themself.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:55 AM
Spaceclam

*bump*
i will have a working motor by the beginning of the week, but no way to test it. would someone be willing to do some voulenteer testing?