Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

what happens if the ESC is overloaded?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 12:50 PM
tramsay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what happens if the ESC is overloaded?

Hi,
Background info:
I have a GWS Tiger moth 400 with a himax 4200 and ph-25 ESC, with thunderpower 3S 1320 and 2100mah Lipo, spinning an 11x7 apc prop. I had the 66T gear on it first, but because I did not know to turn the brake feature of
the ESC off, it chewed that one up pretty good. I now have the 64T gear on it.

Question:
1.What happens when an ESC gets overloaded? Does it make the motor pulse?

My plane pulses in the air. You can hear the motor cutout and then come right back. I can't tell if the whole plane is loosing contact with the TX because it happens so fast... or if the ESC is being over loaded and it is a safety feature to pulse the motor? It happens intermittently, and not when on full throttle. I usually fly 1/2 throttle and it happens allot.

2.If this is an over amping problem, should I go to a smaller prop? Living in CO will a 10x7 be enough?

Thanks for any info. I am very new to electric flight and am still trying to figure everything out.

~Tip

Old 03-27-2005, 02:10 PM
williamf

Default RE: what happens if the ESC is overloaded?

try a gws 11x4.7 prop
Old 03-27-2005, 06:30 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's doing it at half throttle, it;s not likely the ESC. sounds more like interference. Keep the antenna and rcvr away from the speed controller as far as feasable. Also keep the ant. away from the servos. Hope this helps
Old 03-27-2005, 09:26 PM
tramsay

Thanks! The receiver is right next the ESC....thanks for that info! I will move them tonight and see if that makes a difference.

Any other helpful tips/info welcome.

~Tip
Old 10-03-2007, 10:53 PM
mc2

If your kv rating is 4200, you need to make sure your gear reduction is at least 4.25 to 1, or greater. using the 11 inch prop. Check my related post to see if this problem is similar to yours. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_64...tm.htm#6447373
Old 10-04-2007, 02:35 AM
jdetray

Tip -

With some ESCs, pulsing of the motor occurs when the battery voltage drops below the ESC's low voltage cutoff (LVC) point. The ESC pulses the motor to let you know the battery voltage is low.

You can check this with a wattmeter by observing the battery voltage under load.

Your symptoms may have another cause, but don't overlook LVC.

- Jeff