Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Electrifly BL8 esc recall?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 01:29 AM
RCDuggiedug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electrifly BL8 esc recall?

ORIGINAL: aflipz

but anyways, i love this hobby!

snip snip

In comparison the cc phx10 is really nice, you can see through the no-label shrinkwrap, the fets are smaller but properly soldered to a circuit board and it's built in protections seem to e working plus since there's very little lead it won't accumulate heat as much, and in the even that things do get hot, chances are it will cutoff maintaining bec to come in safely. i'm less nervous about flying it now. As a matter of fact i'm just killing time here while my pack is charging up!
Sounds like you have my luck. I buy a camcorder. While under warrantee, I have trouble with three buttons. Send it in and got it back with only one button fixed. Got a Pocket PC with bad switch, fixed it myself with contact cleaner. Got a bad Nikon digital camera. sent it in and got it back in worse condition. sent it in two more times and they replaced it on the last time with a higher model that can't focus infinity. Got a CC Phoenix 10 that wouldn't hold programming, CC replaced it quickly with a good one. Hey! At least I have better luck with RC products.

I'm using my P10 with a Esskay 400XT and I realy like it. This is my first brushless setup.

I thought about getting the BL-8 and Rimfire but was afraid to since the numbers didn't seem right. I'm glad I went another route.

RCDuggiedug
Old 07-31-2005, 01:34 AM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

yup...

about the cc10, i'm getting a little annoyed with the overcurrent protection, since i am running it on softstart and softest timing do you think it's safe to run it with the deffault overcurrent protection? i have it set one step more sensitive than factory, i just want this thing to last until i get my eflite 20 back. Then i'll keep the phx10 for my cobra, being so light i'll be able to prop smaller bringing amp draw well under specs while getting good power/weight.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:45 AM
RCDuggiedug

yup...

about the cc10, i'm getting a little annoyed with the overcurrent protection, since i am running it on softstart and softest timing do you think it's safe to run it with the deffault overcurrent protection? i have it set one step more sensitive than factory, i just want this thing to last until i get my eflite 20 back. Then i'll keep the phx10 for my cobra, being so light i'll be able to prop smaller bringing amp draw well under specs while getting good power/weight.
I'm no expert but I think it would be fine if it ins't getting hot. I read one post on the Castle Creations forum that if you can hold them between your fingers that it should be alright. My setup is pulling about 14.5 amps at WOT and I haven't had any problems but I only fly at WOT a few seconds at a time.

RCDuggiedug
Old 07-31-2005, 01:56 AM
aflipz
My Feedback: (10)

P10 with a Esskay 400XT , that seem a bit less power hungry than a rimfire, but that's only gonna be prop for prop, what prop are you using with that setup to get 14.5 amps wot-static?

p.s. if i understand correctly, the manufacturers amp recommendations for these motors are for them to be operating at their max efficiency, they can take much more as long as they don't get too hot all we need to worry about is cells and esc's. If this is right my rimfire could take a lot more. Hottest i've seen it is around 140F and the instructions say it's special magnets are good for 350F and wires 302F! Regardless, i'd try to keep it under 190F 300F would be melting the nose off my foam planes anyays... ( all this in the hope of one day powering heavyer planes like the funtana, that i am still compelled to)

Now i SOOO want a hydro-foam boat-plane!!! Have you seen these:

http://www.metacafe.com/item28218/ne...the_hydro_foam
Old 07-31-2005, 02:37 AM
RCDuggiedug

P10 with a Esskay 400XT , that seem a bit less power hungry than a rimfire, but that's only gonna be prop for prop, what prop are you using with that setup to get 14.5 amps wot-static?

p.s. if i understand correctly, the manufacturers amp recommendations for these motors are for them to be operating at their max efficiency, they can take much more as long as they don't get too hot all we need to worry about is cells and esc's. If this is right my rimfire could take a lot more. Hottest i've seen it is around 140F and the instructions say it's special magnets are good for 350F and wires 302F! Regardless, i'd try to keep it under 190F 300F would be melting the nose off my foam planes anyays... ( all this in the hope of one day powering heavyer planes like the funtana, that i am still compelled to)

Now i SOOO want a hydro-foam boat-plane!!! Have you seen these:

http://www.metacafe.com/item28218/ne...the_hydro_foam
The Hobby Lobby guy I got the Esskay from at the Joe Nall fly-in recomended apc 10x3.8 and that draws a little much with 3 cell li-pos but I fly it on a Slow Stick at about half throttle or less most of the time. I somtimes do go WOT to see that (21.6oz with bomb drop and 3 cell 2100 li-po) bird go straight up.

My opinion is that prop is a little much for that motor on 3 cells but thats what the HL guy suggested. I haven't taken my temp gun yet but flying at half throttle and landing and feeling motor and ESC everything is just over ambient temps. When I go vertical with a bomb load to drop and quickly land, things are a (guessing would be 130-140F) bit warm. They cool a bit on the way down so thats not peak temps. Battery doesn't get hot. 2100ma 3 cell stays cool and the 850ma 3 cell just a tad warm.

We do have to watch temps on the motor also. If they get too hot the magnets can get weak. I don't know what tempratures that would require but it's probably different for each type of motor and magnet in it.

My nephew sent me a link to those boats last week, We're into cars and boats also. I almost fell in the floor when I saw that.

RCDuggiedug