Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Tower Pro Brushless ESC's

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 06:14 AM
dyrodium

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tower Pro Brushless ESC's

Hey guys. I just finaly lashed out the cash for a brushless setup, with the tower pro 60A previously mentioned. I can't get the damn thing to run! [:@]
I get that sound posted earlier, and added a switch so the contact closed first time, no luck. It just keeps making that noise, and disregards any radio stick movement. Please help! []
Old 07-01-2006, 08:35 PM
superjim

Mate, it sounds like it's getting no signal from the receiver. Are your servos working ok? If not it could be a problem with your radio system.

Also make sure you've got the signal wires from the ESC connected properly to the receiver - perhaps even do a continuity test with your multimeter to make sure nothing's wrong with the wires from your ESC. Failing that, try connecting the ESC into a different socket in your receiver.

If these fail it's probably a dud ESC. Call up the place you got it from for advice. If they can't solve your problem make plans to swap it for a new one. If the new one acts the same then you know it isn't your ESC that's the problem
Old 07-01-2006, 09:38 PM
dyrodium

Ah... didn't think to test it with servo's attached.
Seems to me, the Tp60a's BEC (on mine anyway) doesn't work with an imput voltage of 12v.
I'll throw together a reciever pack and see what it does. This is how I was testing it:

Lol duct tape and terminal blocks... you can tell I usualy build combat robots
Old 07-01-2006, 11:53 PM
hunter306

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone else have the 60A TowerPro?

I've been looking at it to power a 4600kv Brushless motor for a EDF plane, but am not sure if it's going to perform.

I have 4 servos installed as well, is that going to be a problem for the 60A TowerPro? I see the BEC is rated for 4 amp - Double that of the 30A TP ESC, that's why I ask.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:06 AM
dyrodium

I believe mine in the pic previous is one without the branding sticker...
Anyway adding a reciever pack got me into the programming stage, meaning at 12v the bec wont work.
However the best I can get out of the motor is a short burst, and it keeps wanting to be programmed after being turned off. Does anyone have a sure fire programming way just to get this thing running? Any setting! []
originaly I wanted it for the NIMH cells, no break and 30 degree timing...
Any help greatly appreciated!
Old 07-02-2006, 02:21 AM
superjim

dyrodium:
I find it difficult to believe your BEC won't work at 12V - I know the BEC on my 30A ESC works on a 3 cell lipo at 11.1V. Perhaps there really is something wrong with the ESC..?

By the way, what was in that bowl in your pic? You've gone through the fruit-loop packet and picked out all the red ones again, haven't you?! Mum's gonna be so cranky!

hunter306 :
The TP 30A ESC can take two 'cheap' servos running from the BEC, so I should suspect if you have double the amp rating on the 60A version you will be able to use double the number of servos. Let me get out my calculator watch... *carry the two*... you should be able to use 4 'cheap' servos on the 60A ESC
Old 07-02-2006, 02:53 AM
dyrodium

Yeah.. i'm going to send it back.
lol that was the remains of a really weird cake my sister made! Was meant to be red rasberry swirls but just turned the whole thing red lol! Tasted good tho.
Damn cheap ebay things... yet another annoyed customer from world hobby... shame, they were great before when I ordered some servo's off them. []
Old 07-02-2006, 03:07 AM
superjim

Ahh another WORLDHOBBY customer! I've had nothing but success with them actually. They even sent me a whole new motor after the first one got lost in the mail!

Mate, if you want quick results from these HK eBayers, write them an email with NEGATIVE FEEDBACK written like that as the subject heading. You'll get your answer in a matter of hours not days!

Have you got the data sheet for your ESC from the HEXTRONICS website? That's where I got mine from - perhaps it will give you some answers to your problems. I think it's www.hextronics.com.tw or something.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:28 AM
dyrodium

I was directed to www.hobbykong.com before, and the manual I was told to use was this http://www.hobbykong.com/ebay_ads/tp60A/S60besc.pdf
To be honest, i've never owned a brushless before, and didn't think it would be so complex to setup! It however doesn't seem to be able to save any settings, meaning I can't start it! I've managed to get short "bursts" from it, but that's it. A friend said maybe the motor they sent (wrong one anyway ) is rated for a minimum higher voltage, so I was thinking of sticking it up to 24v and then giving it a go. Would the esc take that? I'm juggling between sending it and trying it, but possibly blowing it up![]
Old 07-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Stokes

Hi, did you ever get the TP ESC to work? one just arrived from HK last week, and got so frustrated by the beeping sound i went out and blew a hundred bucks on a Graupner one....which works fine. I want to use it in a model boat, but i guess the principle's the same no? could you tell me what to do? i just get beeps and the motor does nothing - just buzzes a bit. Thanks,

A
Old 07-04-2006, 12:52 AM
dyrodium

Yeah mate that's what I got. I sent it back so they could check if it was faulty. I believe it wasnt now, but instead they come "unprogrammed" and need to be user programmed, but the actual process is S^&t complex []
I intend to use mine in a small combat robot, so yeah, I would assume the process would be simmiler, however with a boat you wouldn't want a break im guessing. I'll let you know how mine turns out, tho now I think about it i might get myself that graupher... []
Old 07-05-2006, 03:18 AM
dyrodium

Just a thought, a few sites seem to say the TP 60A brushless ESC only runs on 4 to 6cells lipol... and I believe four cells lipol is like 14 something volts? I was trying to run mine at 12v off NIMH cells. Perhaps that's why I could never get it running right? Any thoughts?
And has anyone actualy gotten this controler to work properly? The one I got was this one http://www.hobbykong.com/ebay_ads/tp60A/1.jpg
Thanks in advance
EDIT: (cleaned the post up a little)
Old 07-05-2006, 06:29 AM
Stokes

could you guys check something out for me? could you have a look at the little print referring to the polarity just above the black and red power cables on your ESC? today while i was disconnecting the thing to send it back to HK i realised that the red cable is labelled (-) and the black cable is labelled (+) (labelled wrongly no?). so far i connected the red battery cable to the red power cable of the ESC and the black to the black....will try to invert them to see what happens. what do you think?

Andrew
Old 07-05-2006, 07:42 AM
dyrodium

lol sorry mate mine's already on it's way back to HK
Hmm, perhaps a bad batch is the cause of all the problems?
Old 07-05-2006, 08:01 AM
Stokes

cheers buddy...seems like it's a problem with the casing though....if you check out the tower-pro website - you'll see it in the pics ;-) you know how there are two cables coming out on one side and three on the other...well the pictures on their website have them labelled wrongly two....three polarities for the battery connection and two for the motor connection....bottom line is: wypiwyg
Old 07-20-2006, 06:08 AM
ghost123uk

Hey Glacier Girl - Re post number 45 - setup instructions for ESC30

I have been looking for that info for the Tower Pro ESC30 for a couple of days.

I havn't tried it yet (still at work ) but on the assumption it does and I can navigate through the iffy English wording and understand it !! - THANK YOU

Who is "Joe Castle"
Old 07-21-2006, 05:52 AM
dyrodium

Arg!!! [&:]
I just got my replacement esc... this exact one http://www.unitedhobbies.com/comersu...idProduct=2062
Tried it at 16.8 volts... no luck at all.
I "think" the bec in these really doesn't exist?
I don't actualy want a bec, but am worried it'll blow up my other controler running of the same reciever from the two BEC's
Anyone who has gotton this esc working please let me know asap! []
Old 07-21-2006, 06:12 AM
ghost123uk

ORIGINAL: dyrodium
Arg!!! [&:]
I don't actualy want a bec, but am worried it'll blow up my other controler running of the same reciever from the two BEC's
I may be being daft but that sentence doesn't scan too well to my eyes

A - Can you run 2 ESC off one receiver ? ( I think the auto setup function may get confused by this, but I could be wrong ! )

B - If you have one ESC with a BEC that works, it would make sense to diss-able the other one anyway.

C - I seem to recall reading somewhere that the BEC function should not be used at anything above 8.4 volts as it overloads the simple "7805" voltage regulator (that is all a "BEC" is)

I probably shouldn't be replying to this Question, though an experienced elctronics engineer, as I am new to this side of our hobby !

I will watch this thread for thoughts from the experts, good luck !!

John in the N.W. UK
Old 07-21-2006, 06:21 AM
dyrodium

Its ok... it's ALIVE!!!!
Thanks all the same!
Old 07-21-2006, 06:25 AM
ghost123uk

ORIGINAL: dyrodium

Its ok... it's ALIVE!!!!
Thanks all the same!
What did you do then !!
Old 07-21-2006, 07:07 AM
dyrodium

[&:] I don't know!
What might help is that you need to make sure the thottle channel isn't inverted (then it screws it over) and that the controler uses the full throttle channel, so can't be used on spring loaded sticks or it'll be on at 50%!!!
I now turn on the transmitter with the throttle stick full down. Plug in my reciever battery pack to the reciever (I swear they don't have BEC's) then turn on the brushless ESC. Wait for a couple of beeps, then your good to go... I've gotta be careful as my 50A brushless tries to tear itself free from the mounts!
Yeah, it's for a beetleweight combat robots. Alot of people in the states have blown up their expensive scorpion two channel speedcontrolers by using brushless controlers with a BEC ( the scorpion also has a BEC) I was just carfully unsure...
Old 07-21-2006, 04:12 PM
houla

Can you tel me the Tower pro web site?
I can't find it[:@]

Thanks
Old 07-24-2006, 06:12 PM
rvj25

HI, To disable the bec, The middle wire on the Rx plug must be removed. It is usually red in colour.
Cheers,
Old 07-25-2006, 03:44 AM
ghost123uk

ORIGINAL: houla

Can you tel me the Tower pro web site?
I can't find it[:@]

Thanks
Same here [:'(]

I need a bit of info, can I run 5 HS55 micro servo's from the BEC on the T.P. 30 Amp ESC running on 11.1 volts ?

The last thing I want to happen to my new Electric converted Herr Lil Extra, is no controls in the air due to a blown BEC !!!
Old 07-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Chocks_Away

I just bought one and also run HS55's.
It says only 3 can be used on 11.1v or deduct one for economy servos, so that would let you only use two in that case !

I'm using 3 HS55's on mine, no problems.
I wouldn't risk 5 with the BEC enabled.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.