Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

electric $$$ vs. glow $$$

Old 10-24-2005, 04:25 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: electric $$$ vs. glow $$$

Bud: Ussen old folk have thick skins and do not get PO'd unless there is real reason.(Don't ask for a date with my Granddaughter #1, or my cousin who is a pro model for underware.) Please quit considering me as a customer and more as a friend who happens to be a customer. Think readers have gotten the point that I am a avid rcx planes pilot just because they are the "best of the best, period". "Men in Black #1" Seeee ya
Old 10-25-2005, 12:29 AM
smokingwreckage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bud,

I think I'm going to use the salvage parts for less serious toys and save up to buy everything you recommend brand new. I think patience will ensure a better flying model than trying to adapt unproven systems. I have a flight of Slow Sticks, Pico Sticks, and Pico Cubs I'm using to teach my students about force and motion, so the Futaba stuff won't go to waste. It's quite a sight to see 6 electrics buzzing about the gym all at the same time. The kids go nuts about pylon racing Pico Sticks around the volleyball poles.

rmenke,

Thanks again for pointing me to the RC-XPlanes site. Now, if you could be so kind as to show me where I can get an electric power system for close to the same price as a gas power system for my 1/4 Laser 200. I don't want a date with your Granddaughter #1 or your exhibitionist cousin. How about your little sister, if she's single and not too ornery?
Old 10-25-2005, 12:47 AM
RCXPLANES
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

smokingwreckage,
I know it can get expensive but you will have a better plane if you get the right equipment.

As for your power system for the 1/4 Laser 200, you can check these guys out at http://www.e-flightline.com. the guy who owns it is named Jeff Small. Honest as they come and a great guy on first meeting. Their phone number is 1-877-252-2653. They specialize in glow or gas to electric conversion power systems. I met them at an electric fly-in/airshow in Washougal, WA a few weeks back. They had everything from 1/2A sized to 30% stuff flying at the airshow and the 30% YAK 54 from eBay fame was very impressive in the power department. Better than my DA 50 on an Aerotech Velox at 16 lbs. in vertical performance. I think these guys know what works and what is a waste of time. They have the Tanic LiPo line which I wish I could try. The numbers of discharge rating, amp draw and pack weight just don't mesh well with RCXPLANES just yet as Jeff mentioned himself. Cost is ??????????

Bud
Old 10-25-2005, 02:04 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry Red Neck! My little sister is 6'-2" and kicked my former "101 Airborne" butt at 15. Yep, very honery. I have a AXI 4130/20 NIB that I will never get arround to using. Look its specs up a HobbY Lobby Internatinal, a very strong motor system. Also a Phoenix 60 controller. Will pass to you at a 25% cost discount if you are interested, just because you may still give me a spot in the back yard. Got to get going to the field and test My Jett BSE 35 in my own design airframe for this weekends club race. You have never seen anyone bend the rules so far without breaking them. It outruns and outturns the Q-500s. Makes the fast guys very mad, its a ball for a old man! See ya
Old 10-26-2005, 09:29 PM
smokingwreckage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey, Bud, thanks for the link to e-flightline. They have the smaller sport planes like I'm flying now. I must have gotten lucky because they are selling packages with the same power systems (other than brand of gearboxes and li-pos) I developed through trial and error. There's probably no reason to believe any of their other packages would be any lower performing than my Slow stick and e-Starter. Is gratifying to see some affirmation of my choices.

Can't wait to get my hands on your Yak. e-flightline's 27% Edge 260 looks sweet. After Christmas I'm going to look in to picking up one of those. So many planes, so little money.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:17 AM
dammitman
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

wow,,,i wish the guys around here would leave stuff like that behind. you dont get anything from the trash here except glue,,,,,,,,dried glue. this whole thing has been interesting reading for sure.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:51 PM
smokingwreckage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My club as a strange mix of people. Many active and retired military, commercial and general pilots, aeronautic engineers and machists from Lockheed Martin and Bell Helicopter, A&P mechanics, old farts with 50 years modeling experience spending their retirements working part time in the LHSs, even several women. Hardly any fly competitions other than the club pylon races and climb-and-glides. They are the tops of their respective fields with no need to prove anything. They fly RC for the pure fun of it. Even the sign out by the field gate says "SPECTATORS WELCOME". That's why I chose this club. Friendly, helpful, and knowledgable people dedicated to having fun with RC airplanes.

I'm not the only person who feels this way. Several of our members drive right past other RC fields with much nicer facilities to reach ours.

Some of these folks have more money than God and don't risk new planes with old parts from wrecked planes. They break one, they replace everything. Sadly, for us scavengers, with the experience and education these folks have they don't break very often.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:21 AM
Fred420
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Smokingwreckage......................Quote: Worse, I'm prohibited by from ever drawing Social Security. Thank you, George Bush,l you nasty crook

WHY?? If you payed into SS, then you are entitled to it by law.

Just curious..........

Fred420
Old 10-31-2005, 09:04 AM
smokingwreckage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Texas teachers are forced to pay into the Teacher Reitement System (TRS). It is illegal to draw from both TRS and Social Security, even though in my case I make more money with a business unrelated to education than I do teaching. I pay nearly the max into Social Security at twice the rate as people who work for others, yet I am prohibited from ever drawing from Social Security. Why? Heck if I know. I suppose the purpose is to make sure no competent, successful people remain in teaching profession.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:17 AM
BaldEagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Smokingwreckage
I am now on my third Ultrafly PC9 with an AXI 2212/20 outrunner on 3S 1P Li-Po's (1600mah or 2500mah according to conditions) I'm on my third not because of the airframe but because I flew them to death, I love them so much I will not be without one, search the forum for Ultrafly PC9 and you will see that this aircraft has a big following and in my opinion justified.
Mike