Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Which Combination?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 07:16 AM
14MZ flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Combination?

Hi everyone

I am new to electric flight, so please be patient. I have just bought an Ultrafly Hawk, and would like to know what brushless motor and batteries I would need.

The kit comes with a standard 400 size motor, which is run through a gearbox in a pusher configuration. Do I go to Lipos or NiMh batteries? As it is a pusher style kit would Lipos give me the C.G. balance that I require?

As for the motor what amount of turns and output do I require? Any feedback would be gratefully recieved.

regards

14MZ flyer
Old 04-28-2006, 02:49 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Combination?

What you choose will depend on what you want to do with the plane.

Ultrafly produces their own line of brushless motors, so your first, and most obvious choice, would be the Ultrafly brushless upgrade that they (hopefully) included in the assembly manual.

Not knowing how you're expecting the plane to perform, or anything about the plane itself, it's going to be a bit tough to determine where you want to go from here.

If you want the ultimate in simplicity and power, a "400" class outrunner and a 3S LiPoly should give you marked improvement over the stock 400 gearbox. Something like, say, an Eflite Park 400 or Esskay 400XT on a 3S LiPoly, propped to draw ~12 Amps at full throttle...