Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Broken Brushless Motor- Salvageable?

I have a PJS 550R brushless motor. A while ago, I was attaching my prop-shaft-adaptor and afterwords the motor sounded like it was gargling and I didn't have as much thrust. Then, I took the motor apart, looked at it, put it back together, and there was no more gargling noise. However, I still didn't have nearly as much thrust. So, now I'm thinking there's a problem with the magnets. I crashed a few times, but nothing really bad. Is there a way to fix the motor? Anyone have any ideas?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Broken Brushless Motor- Salvageable?

Check to see if the bell (rotor) is still securely attached to the shaft. Grab the shaft with pliers and see if you can turn the bell. You should not be able to turn it.

Magnets can be cracked in a crash, so examine them carefully. Magnets can also be damaged by overheating, which causes them to lose strength.

- Jeff
    My other hobby: www.AstronomyBoy.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The shaft seems to be attached. What if the magnets were overheated? Is there a way I gan re-strengthen them or no?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If the magnets have lost strength, they can not be restored, at least not by methods available to us!

- Jeff
    My other hobby: www.AstronomyBoy.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

True, the heat damages the magnets by unaligning the poles. If you could heat them up again in a really strong magnetic field...
    Perhaps you could find a source of replacement magnets? I've seen some around. Although only useful if you know that's the problem.