Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Cross reference from glow to brushless

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 10:43 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cross reference from glow to brushless

Hi All

I have all glow engines in my warbirds. The sizes and weights range from 49" span with OS .46 engines up to an 80" model with a 108 ,160.

They range from 5.74 lbs up to 20 lbs. They are all over powered. What equals or surpasses a .46, 61, 90, ect in brushless/control/batt

How would one go about getting a comprable brushless engines in these models for same or better performance.

Is there a general rule or formula??

Thanks

Steve
Old 09-03-2006, 11:09 AM
soarhead-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cross reference from glow to brushless

What I usually use for motor size is go by the weight of the plane and the power output of the motor. I think the general rule of thumb for most high perf. a/c is to have 100 watts of power per pound like your warbirds. THEY say 50 watts per pound will fly most trainors, 75 to 80 watts per pound for sport planes and then go up from there. More power is good, you can always throttle back (yeah right). Amp drawXvoltage equals Watts(power) Most manufactures list the watts of the motor. Also there is a Motor-calc software program for downloadbut Im not computer savy so I would be lost in it
Just my 02
Bob
Old 09-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both E Flite and Himax motors have the equivalent glow power for each motor on their websites.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:40 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys.

Steve