Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Prop connection to GWS motor shaft

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 03:34 AM
pinnedup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop connection to GWS motor shaft

I have a GWS 2215/12T brushless motor, how does the prop attach to the motor shaft? The motor shaft is threaded. The prop (GWS) is keyed to accept nuts on each side and the motor package included two nuts that fit into these keys in the prop, these nuts are grooved on one side and fit the motor shaft. However, what prevents the prop from spinning even with these nuts in place? I see no other nuts in the package that would tighten against the grooved nuts that fit the prop. The motor package came with several brackets and rubber bands(?).

Thanks,
Old 01-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Dr Kiwi

Default RE: Prop connection to GWS motor shaft

The best bet is to substitute a 3mm NyLock nut for one of the standard nuts. Put a standard nut as far on the shaft as it will go. Put the GWS RS prop on so that the nut fits in the recess at the back of the hub. Put a 3mm washer in front of the prop. Fit the 3mm Nylock and crank it down.

No worries, mate!

Now if you use a GWS HD you are in trouble (as we all are) because the recess in the hubs of those is 7mm across (not the 5mm for the RS series). The 3mm nuts will not lock into a GWS HD hub, but if you put a 3mm nut on first, and use a washer on either side of the hub, then crank a 3mm Nylock in front as before, the prop will be securely held.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:01 PM
pinnedup

Thanks Dr. Kiwi,
I will try a 3mm NyLock nut. I could also position the 2 supplied 3mm nuts with the grooved flange at the proper distance on the shaft from the motor, flange against flange, Locktite these in place, set the prop with the nut into the recess in the prop, and then slide on a washer and a 3mm NyLock nut.

Just wonder how the manufacture planned to secure the prop, the directions did not address this.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:56 AM
Dr Kiwi

That's right - I see now that GWS does supply these flanged nuts - your method would work fine - but that Nylock is the only way to make sure the prop doesn't loosen in flight.