Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

size of esc, bigger is better?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 09:17 PM
tmaucher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default size of esc, bigger is better?

I have just bought a couple of 2100mah 11.1 volt lipos off the FMA direct sight. My question is the model I have calls for a 20 amp esc, but can I put a castle 36amp esc in instead? Will it deminish the power or what, and if I could, then why would anyone get a smaller esc. I will appreciate the help. ps I want the bigger esc cause the next model will be the fw190 gws,l and I want it to rock. thanks
Old 05-06-2007, 01:03 AM
jooNorway

Default RE: size of esc, bigger is better?

The only (small) disadvantage of buying a bigger ESC than you need is a small weight-penalty and usually it cost more. No problem to run a 36A ESC at only 15A WOT.
In fact it is better to have electronics specced for more than you load them at, because loading at max-rating might cause things to overheat and fail. If the few extra grams is not an issue just buy the 36A and be happy.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:59 PM
tmaucher

Question answered thanks alot for your help.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:52 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

The fw190 gws will be a rock allright,,weightwise that is..a 2100 with a 36 ESC is not an ideal set up for it,that stuff will run an Eflite 480 easily.
If you want that thing to rip then keep it light,get the right motor with appropiate KV rating and prop it accordingly,small diameter high pitch, battery should probably be a 17-1800.Not trying to tell you how to build,just thought you may want to rethink it,or use the batteries and esc in a different airframe.