Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

hextronic speed control problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 05:53 PM
boosted180
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hextronic speed control problem

hi. does anyone have a hextronic speedcontrol from united hobbies? i have the 36amp speedcontroller and it's been fine sicne i got it about a month ago. but about a week ago, i plugged in my battery and no beeps came from the speed controller. apparently power was going through it to the receiver and the servos were responding to stick movements, but when i throttled up, nothing happened. so i disconnected the battery, reconnected it and it beeped and everything was fine. then today when i went out to fly, my first flight was fine. then when i plugged in the new battery for another flight, nothing happened. again the servos were responding, but i couldnt throttle up. i disconnected the battery and tried again, and still nothing. i've tried it again and again and with different batteries, and it looks like it's just dead. really weird.....

i know it couldnt have burnt out b/c i'm pulling a max of only 30 amps this motor/ prop combo, confirmed with a watt-meter.

the speedcontrol didnt come with instructions. maybe it's some programming thing? or maybe it just burnt out even though it should have done that while i was flying....

any ideas?

thanks,
brian
Old 06-04-2007, 12:02 AM
jdetray

Default RE: hextronic speed control problem

Hi Brian -

Have you carefully checked to be sure the wires and connectors between the motor and the ESC are good? Check for bad solder joints, loose connectors, etc.

The beeps made by the ESC are actually produced by the motor, so lack of beeps can be caused by either a failed ESC or by a broken connection between the motor and the ESC.

- Jeff
Old 06-04-2007, 11:24 AM
boosted180

yes, i've checked all the wires. they are fine.

i plugged in another speedcontrol and the motor runs fine on the other one.

the problem is with the speedcontrol.

just not sure if it's burnt out or it's a programming issue. they never sent instructions for it.

thanks.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:46 AM
mrasmm

maybe try here
http://www.hextronik.com/support.html

to program it you need a usb cable for it from what I read.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:27 AM
boosted180

yeah, i tried that link, but they dont have any info about the 36amp speed controller, whcih is what i have.

i've been trying to get them to email me the instructions for mine (which was not included with my order), but so far no luck.

if anyone has instructions for the 36amp speed controller, i'd really appreciate a copy or help with programming mine.

but i have a feeling that the speed control itself is defective. it might not even be worth it to ship back to hong kong, and wait who knows how long for them to send me another one. it took over a month the first time.......
Old 06-06-2007, 02:16 AM
mrasmm

i pulled up the destructions for that esc on that website just fine....

check this out
download this zip file
http://www.hextronik.com/docs/hextronikBUNDLE_28OCT.zip

and open up the document called ESC_Setup_Document.doc it has generic instructions for all the hexatronic escs, hopefully that will work for you
Old 06-06-2007, 09:37 PM
boosted180

thanks for the link, mrasmm. i actually looked at this already but there are no instructions for a 36amp speed controller. but i went through the steps for programming anyway that were supplied for the other speed controllers.

it's definitely not a programming issue. soemthing is defective with the speed controller itself. it does not even beep when the battery is connected. and the light continues flashing. (it's supposed to flash just once after arming). there is power going to the receiver/ servos. but no power to the motor or response from throttle stick inputs.

i already ordered another speed controller from bp hobbies. it should be here by friday.

the customer service at united hobbies is horrible. i'll never order from them again even though they have the absolute lowest prices anywhere. i'm very happy with their lipo so far. it performs just as good as thunder power (although heavier) at half the price.
BUT this speed control sucks and having to wait over a month to get my order and not getting any help with my speed controller problem just caused them to loose my business.