Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

New to brushless outrunners a few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 05:00 PM
wed68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to brushless outrunners a few Questions

I am very new to brushless motors and have ordered a few from united hobbies a 24- 08 with a 8x3.8 prop. I know this is not the best motor and esc combo but I am new to the hobby and trying not to tear up to much expensive equipment. My sons and I love flying but are going thru a severe learning curve.

Question one: The prop is set up on a propsaver, should it be on the end of the shaft, it looks likes is really sticking out there?

Question two: Lots of vibration at 75% to full throttle that we did not have with the gear set up and brushed motor we had before, I know that I am turning a lot more rpms with the direct drive so do I need to balance ther prop and how do I do it?

Thanks in advance

Bill

Old 07-05-2007, 01:20 AM
jooNorway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to brushless outrunners a few Questions

Not sure which motor you talk about... maybe the one called "TowPro Brushless Outrunner 2408-21 Delta"?
I took a look at it and the shaft is very long. I would have cut it down before trying to fly, because some said the shafts are very soft! They could propably bend if you just run it up with an unbalanced propeller []
Your vibrations could be caused by the long and soft shaft, or an unbalanced propeller, or both. All propellers shall be balanced, I hardly find new propellers which don`t require balancing. And if they hit the ground without breaking and you take the chance to use it more do balance again. (Only for low power setups, powerful setups should not be ran on propellers which could have a invisible damage...)

Balancing: buy yourself a balancer. I have used this for several years: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHY61&P=ML Balance my propellers from the smallest to my 24" carbon-propellers