Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Timing Question(s)!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Hiaboo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Question(s)!!

SAY.. If I have TWO indentical motors...

I advance the timing of one motor, by 20, then run it the proper way (Pos to Pos, Neg to Neg) and run this way, would it be faster THAN a motor that was retarded by 20, and run in reverse (Pos to Neg, and Neg to Pos)...

My goal is to run these two motors at EQUAL speeds. Would I have to Advacne both motors to 20, or ZERO the timing? One has to run in reverse, the other will run forwards.

Thanks

Old 07-05-2007, 12:59 AM
jooNorway

Default RE: Timing Question(s)!!

I assume you have brushless? Brushed motors will have more efficiency if ran "the right way", but they can be timed by rotating the can.
Brushless motors can run both ways at same efficiency.
You have to tell what motors you have to get help on timing. Brushless motors require different timing depending on: Inrunner/outrunner, few/many poles low/high inductance etc.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:09 AM
pilotpete2

I have to assume you are referring to good brushed motors here, if so the reverse rotation motor will be set to an indicated minus 20dg. as that would be equivalent to plus 20 dg. in reverse.
You would need to fine tune with a tach to get them dead on.
With brushless DC motors any advance setting in the ESCs would be the same, as motor direction is determined by the connections between the ESC (commutator) and the motor coils, so no need to have retard on brushless.
Pete
Old 07-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Hiaboo

Ah yes, I'm running brushed motors.. They are Epic Intense 19t motors.

So That's good to hear that if I retard the timing and run it in reverse it'd be the same as running it the "right" way with the timing advanced. I don't have a Tach or anything like that yet, sometimes down the road I'll pick one up.

Reason why I'm asking is becaue I'm running them in a boat with dual drives, and just want to be sure that everything's ok to go.