Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

new to elec. having major issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 07:26 PM
crash14me2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to elec. having major issues

Just put together my first electric, hasnt ben too pleasant so far! Here is what i have then i will explain my ssues.

Great planes turmoil foamy
22m-1000 rim fire motor
futaba r114f receiver
electrifly 640mahr 11.1v li-po
h-55 servos
futaba t7cap radio
eectrifly bl-8 ESC

Ok get plane to point where im centering servos. No juice, test battery, nothing. Exchange battery with new got juice now. get servos centerd mounted. Get to point where im "supposed" to setup the ESC. Well ESC has no set up tones like described in manual. Servos work, got nothing to the motor. I setup TX as descried in ESC manual, still nothing. Any suggestions?
Old 07-07-2007, 09:30 PM
sharpshooter223

Default RE: new to elec. having major issues

glow engine...simpler to put together, your speed control is just another servo and a pre-manufactured part of the engine.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:20 PM
jzrf6c

Make sure you throttle is all the way off. Some ECs may need the throttle reversed and/or the trims set to zero.

Just a thought.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:59 PM
sharpshooter223

its also possible that you have it plugged in wrong
Old 07-08-2007, 05:09 AM
jooNorway

Futaba-radioes have default direction on the throttle "opposite" of other brands. As jzrf6c mentioned. Reverse the throttle-channel on your radio, and also move the trim to full stop. Then the ESC should arm.
Of course you don`t put a propeller to the motor before you are sure everything works properly I hope. Good luck
Old 07-08-2007, 11:33 AM
sharpshooter223

why not put a propeller to the motor while testing it, bruised and cut up fingers are just part of the fun of the hobby
Old 07-08-2007, 10:46 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Sharpshooter: You need to go for the "Expert" medal, sharpshooter is someone that barely passes minimums. Go for Sgt. York status. Yes, I have failed for follow the little blurb in the instructions on my first elect. foamy. Of course, my throttle was reversed. Yes, the thing cut a few sport on fingers, wrist and arm on its way across the garage WFO, then terminated velosity against the work bench. The gear was salvagable, and yes I followed instructions building my new one. Its cheaper and less panfull to learn from other peoples mestakes. I know, making almost any mestake possible through the years. ONe time I build a neat pushrod install on a Kaviler. Used a Dave Brown CF rod, streight through with the large metal clevisis (threaded) on both ends. Bueatiful plane, lasted about 8 minitutes until one end completely unscrewed itself. Dumb, dumb, and dumber. Regardless, ENJOY
Old 07-09-2007, 12:14 PM
sharpshooter223

well im obviously kidding, it just seems liek the persons question was answered pretty decently so i decided to add some humor.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:49 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Grandson just got a used electric plane. It is a 540 edge with a 25 amp ESC and motor. The 2nd flight the motor started making a strange noise. I took the motor apart and the only thing I could find was a loose set screw that may hold the out-runner part on end of shaft. I assume there must be a flat on shaft for set screw to rest on. ??? The magnets may be out of time I am thinking. The only thing is, the outrunner hub is stuck on shaft. Any Ideas? Thanks Capt,n
Old 07-23-2007, 05:49 PM
crash14me2

Started off with a bad battery pack, then still didnt work. Figured out the bl-8 esc was bad also, maybe a product of the bad pack?[&:] Thanks for all yalls help!
Old 07-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the motor plugged into the ESC? It's what makes the beeps. If it is plugged in, make sure there's no prop on it. On Futaba, reverse the throttle channel. Plug ESC into the throttle channel. To arm the ESC You may have to bring the throttle stick all the way down, then all the way to the top, then all the way to the bottom again. If this doesn't work, try putting the lower throttle end point down lowr then try again.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:20 AM
tcclong

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

My Grandson just got a used electric plane. It is a 540 edge with a 25 amp ESC and motor. The 2nd flight the motor started making a strange noise. I took the motor apart and the only thing I could find was a loose set screw that may hold the out-runner part on end of shaft. I assume there must be a flat on shaft for set screw to rest on. ??? The magnets may be out of time I am thinking. The only thing is, the outrunner hub is stuck on shaft. Any Ideas? Thanks Capt,n
Captinjohn,

I don't know what motor you have, but there should be a flat on the shaft. Typically the setscrew would go against the flat. The shaft is probably pressed into the motor housing. You have to gently tap it out or use a press or vice to get it out. But, be very careful with this. If you ding up or bend the motor housing, it's all over for that motor. I don't know if taking the shaft out will help anything. The ESC should take care of the timing, so assuming it's a decent ESC that shouldn't be a problem. Is your prop dinged up or bent or anything? Exactly what kind of strange noise is it?
Old 07-27-2007, 03:01 PM
captinjohn

The noise is a hard to describe. At low RPM it is not bad. Higher RPM it kinda a howl or load hum. Also the motor wants to start in wrong direction. Sometimes it will not start unless you spin prop on start-up. I will try to get the motor apart...very carefully. Forgot to say....soon as motor started making noise....the ESC does not beep any more when radio is turned on. Thanks Capt,n[:-]
Old 07-27-2007, 06:25 PM
jdetray

As Gord said, it's actually the motor that beeps. The ESC uses the motor as a "speaker" to make the beeps. If the motor is not connected to the ESC, you will never hear beeps when the ESC is plugged into the battery.

- Jeff
Old 07-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CaptinJohn:
Timing is all done electronically in the speed controller. There is nothing in the motor that you can change to alter the timing. What make is the speed controller?Could also have a bad connection in one of the three wires coming out of the motor.You might check them with an ohmeter. They should all read the same when you go from wire to wire.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:43 PM
captinjohn

Thanks Guys. I will check all connections with a OHM meter. I did check to make sure the plug-in parts was tight. The brand is Huayu. http://www.huayu-group.cn/ Capt,n
Old 07-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Bad_Daddy

Sounds to me like the switching frequency on the ESC has been setup incorrectly for that motor. I believe it should be set to the 8 kHz setting.
The manual can be downloaded at http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpmm2070-manual.pdf and there is a Tech Notice at http://www.electrifly.com/escs/gpmm2070tech.html
Old 07-31-2007, 03:58 PM
captinjohn

Well...We got the motor running great. We took the airplane over to a Guys House that flys a lot of electric planes. He hooked his battery with his cotroller and pluged it in to our motor. At first the motor ran backwards. He switched 2 of the 3 motor leads and tried again. It ran perfect. Now....where is a good price on a 35 AMP controller?? Thanks Capt,n