Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Electric Setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 02:10 PM
chuckd
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Setup

Hi All:

I have a Hanager 9 Cub and a Futuba computer radio, do I need to plug the esc and battery into the recivers throttle port and the a seperate reciver battery in the battery port? Will that cause a feed back between the battries?

Thanks
Chuck
Old 07-11-2007, 05:04 PM
patnchris

Default RE: Electric Setup

Yes, it will cause a problem. Using a small probe, you can work the center pin from the ESC out of the connector. then just tape it back to the the wire to keep it from shorting out. Then connect your receiver/servo battery to the 5th port on you receiver. You will need a switch to turn the RX/servo battery on and off. The lead from the ESC plugs into your normal throttle channel.....Pat
Old 07-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Chocks_Away

If you've got a leccy plane then generally you only need the one battery to power the motor and radio.
This plugs into the esc, then the esc plugs into channel 3 (throttle)

I don't know which cub you have, but if it is a small park flier type (around 1m span or less) , then this will be the norm.
If it is a larger model which is normally of an engine powered size (1.5m span, 5-7 lb and above), then you would use a seperate battery to power the radio as well as the one that plugs into the esc to power the motor.

To use a seperate battery, you would have to disconnect the BEC (battery eliminating circuit) from the esc by means of cutting, or removing the pin from the plug of it (red wire) and then plugging a seperate battery into any spare channel of the receiver.
It doesn't matter which channel no. it is - as they are all parallel wired together and are only seperated by the signal for each channel.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:28 AM
jooNorway

If you have an ESC with switched BEC onboard you do not need a separate RX-battery. These ESCs deliver enough power to run 6-7 servoes in normal flight. Jeti Spin is one example of such ESCs.

Instead of doing any cutting in the cable between ESC and receiver I use a short servo-extension cable in which I cut the red wire. Wrap 4-5 times through a torioid to dampen noise and use this between ESC-RX.