Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Help Hacker 20L Just hums and wobbles

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Bad-n-Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Hacker 20L Just hums and wobbles

Just finished out my first 3-d foamy and programed my Pheonix all went well ,checked my leads looks right. switched the motor leads around twice to see if if it was something that easy. Nothing spinning! It just wobbles back and forth between one set of poles and had a dull flutter grinding like sound? I mounted prop to the non wired side of the hacker with the adapter was there something I was supposed to switch out....All new to me.Have yet to find definining instructs w/ pics.

Hacker 20-20L / Hacker plugs to esc
Pheonixs 25 / Deans Plugged to battery pack
thunder Lipo 3s1p 1320mah
6 ch. Hitec Electron 6 Reciever
Futuba 6exs w/throtle reversed on channel 3 were the pheonixs comes in

Only thing I can see poss. wrong was the Batt in marked on channel 6,which I currently have occupied by one of the aileron servos.

Programed as such Option 1-5(9.0v cut off),2-3(Normal),3-5(brake disabled), 4-1(auto thorthle),5-2Standard timing adv.),6-2(soft cut off),7-39(fast start).

Anyone,
Basically looks correct to the T....This is my first E-plane ....Input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Bad-n-Blue

Default RE: Help Hacker 20L Just hums and wobbles

Tried it once again and its just has high pitch whine as it barely vibrates it around(prop that is) I thought for a second I saw it counter back.Ihave changed a the motor plugs around three times now....Is this just a bad motor?

I though I had freed up a possible hard mount hit on the shaft in the back through the access hole little epoxy over hanging ,little dremeling did nothing to change out anything.just thought it might be something that easy.

Help!
Old 08-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Bad-n-Blue

Well I,ve now resoldered every connection from the motor side esc to the battery pack still 2 phasing and jumping about(the prop that is).Ready to hard wire the motor direct on Esc next!

Anybody chase out this type of bug before and what was your issue/

[:-]

Old 08-19-2007, 01:41 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Bad In Blue:

Am not a electric expert, but see you have found all the wrong things to do, or watch with new installs. Did the same thing on my first one. Ok, think your problem is in the esc not arming correctly, a program thing. If you have another-any size, plug it in and give it a try. But, first, be sure the motor control to the receiver is in the right place and pluged in correctly. Then, reverse the motor in your receiver. Probably will run correctly then. Most of my esc's are Phoenix and I have nothing but good to say about the product and performance. Being basically lazy, have been using the Hacker ESC's with my Hacker motors simply because the system comes with plug in bullets, no soldering reguired. All my Phoenix units are soldered direct as I can't seem to remember buying connectors at the time of order, and frankly think they should come that way. Or is it just the Germans who think of the details? Let us know? ENJOY
Old 08-19-2007, 08:33 PM
Bad-n-Blue

Well I,ve now resoldered every pin connection and deans plug from the motor side esc to the battery pack still 2 phasing and jumping about(the prop that is).Ready to hard wire the motor direct on Esc next!

Well I took the motor apart to see if it had anything disrupting or metal inside looked good....Resoldered the engine connectors as the wimpy press fits had little if nothing in solder in the joints...Still No luck motor appears to be still 2 phasing...Also reset Phenonix 25 to factory settings to see if that would have effect...... nada...

Yeah I have the ESC in 3 just threw that in as a possible(as the rec. says batt /6)....Reset Esc to the recommended factory sets for lipo sport flying(changed it from 3-d set up).Still chatters back and forth 2- phasing with that all to fimiliar whine!

I really sure I have it wired right... (Could I have programmed it with the REC / ESC plugged in bacwards at the reciever and set it up wrong I know I switched it once and it would not funtion at all then back and it would reset to normal funtioning with the beeps and LED's.
My radio is a Futaba T6XA's And my set up is in Question. Have ATV set for channel 3 at 120% both ways all other set at 100%. Esc recognizes 3 cells Goes through its start up correctly and when I brake for two beeps she then allows power to the motor...but still the all to famillier Whine chatter. Also it would shut down power to motor and have a constant 1 sec flash.

Also its been a while since I stopped flying with a computer radio (flew lots simple 4 chan combat, stuff before).I have my radio set on "PARA" should it beset on acro for 3...Totally forgot what this function is MY BAD!
Would appreciate an explantion of the PARA 12345 funtion I'm looking at as I punch through this with the cursor I see Para, RESET 1(1 blinking),DRSW1 Down,2 Up,3 acro(set blinking),4 Heli (blinking) and 5 Mod P (p) blinking.

STRM is also 0% for 123456,Exp? should be ...what for throttle throw.I would also mention that I am in PPM mode,Probably should have mentioned that from the start.

Sorry for being so ignorant with this radios features.
Thanks from Scotty H
Old 08-20-2007, 02:06 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Bad in Blue:

Ok, lets get mad at this thing and get it going as best as we can. Ok,I am a JR guy where Ch-1 is throttle and I don't have a Fatuba manual in the house. Read your manual and confirm ch 3 is your throttle channel. The esc must plug into the throttle channel. Ok, unplug the esc from the receiver. Find a hot spare battery and plug it into ch 6 of the electron battery connection, and a spare servo into 3. Battery and servo lines should all have the black wire to the outside right of the receiver Now, do all of the servos move correctly with the transmitter? If not, is the frequency of the trans same as receiver. In effect, we are taking the esc and controller operation out of the system to confirm the receiver and transmitter are working correctly. At this point you can check all the servos for proper throw and direction. If its still not working, that leaves only the correct frequency and ppm/pcm modulation as a possible problem assumeing the rx and tx are operating correctly. By doing this, we know everything relating to the radio operation is a go.

Ok, be sure the prop is off your motor. Lipo battery unpluged, plug in the esc into the throttle channel # 3 with the position of the transmitter stick all the way down. Plug in the lipo flight battery into the esc. You should get a heavy arming beep out of the esc at this point which is what we are looking for. If yes, a heavy beep, see if all the control servos are operting correctly, yes? Throttle up the motor, should start up normally. If it does not, reverse the throttle travel direction with the stick down. At this point, think you will be up and running. If you still have a problem, call 785-883-4519, the Castle Creations people who in my experience are one of the best around in customer assistance. Have everything charged up and handy before you call. Let me know what goes please. ENJOY
Old 08-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Bad-n-Blue

Throttle is in 3 and it is in correct every thing operates as it should. The 3 is reversed as futubas require and is also correct. When I plug in lipos it beeps then beeps three telling me it recog.3 cells which is correct.I then Brake it alarms 2 as it should I then move up throttle and 2 phasing happens .....I will be unplugging hacker and running and ohms check on the three plugs as I see no other thing being over looked.

There must be a single strand laying frayed accross the housing inside, I can see no other possiblity!
Oh and thanks for joining the

Murphys Law Study Group Assoc.

Thanks for the input Scotty H
Old 08-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Hibrass
My Feedback: (1)

Bad n blue,

If you unplug the motor from the ESC and then plug the battery into the ESC and see if the rest of the controls operate properly... If so, it is a very good chance that the ESC is working and that the problem is in the motor... I had some similar occur with my A20 once when I had the receiver plug in backwards on channel 3... LOL

Good Luck,

Hibrass
Old 08-21-2007, 04:56 PM
Bad-n-Blue

Thanks HiBrass,

Everything works fine except the damn motor, at first I thought maybe it would allow itself to be programed if it were in backasswards and when switched back appear that all is well,but it doesn,t operate at all when switched...Just had to try to see if it was that stupid on my part...Just waiting to have my friend bring his ohms meter over as mine blew a fuse (and it is a 2.5,one I don't have readily on hand).

You would think with 10 models laying around I would have operating Ohms meter but I don,t.

You say Club Saito hmmm I 've got a 180 Saito in one of my Edge 540's .Just Love that Sound!

Thanks From Scotty H ,B-n-B
Old 08-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Mayday!Mayday!

I had the same problem with a motor that had a short in it, replaced the motor with another and all was fine.
I also read a thread awhile back about the timing on some esc's needed to be changed to match better to a motor, if you were having this problem, (the motor jerking back and forth).
My suggestion is to look at the motor and make sure none of the windings or leads are broke or look burnt. If the wire coating goes, it will short it.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

After all that I'm starting to lean towards faulty motor and/or ESC, myself. Do you have others you can use to check with?
Old 08-21-2007, 06:53 PM
Hibrass
My Feedback: (1)

Bad n Blue,

Good luck, I hope you get it sort soon... I know how frustrating it is.. And yes I love my Big Saitos also! I a 150 in a Funtana and I have a 180 sitting on the bench ready for Goldberg SU26..!
Old 08-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Bad-n-Blue

Hi Matt,

Unfortunately this is my first and only endeavor into the Electric Realm! No worries, deductive reasoning will chase this bug out.
Put a big push on getting this done before a the big family picnic which came and passed this last weekend...Every year I bring a new toy to fly there. I thought with all the great knowledge here I would have found out that it was my own lack of know how that could be reversed in quick fashion...Thats OK I still getting the end result just a few days latter.

I've learned a lot in just 2 weeks about this end of the sport and will be soon enjoying what you all have come to realize is just one more great way to escape the honey do list.

Thanks for all the input Guys,I'll post when I come out the other side of the Dark Cloud over my Hanger!

Old 08-21-2007, 10:42 PM
Bad_Daddy

I recently obtained a used Hacker 20-20L with the same problem. The motor was bad. I replaced it with a new one and Voila!
Old 08-23-2007, 12:48 PM
Bad-n-Blue

Thanks Big Dude,
I left work early to go to the LHS and change said motor.

Fingers Crossed(Hopefully not wires)....Heh,heh!

Hope like you said its just a bad motor.

Thanks from Bad-n-Blue
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23060.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	747874  
Old 08-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Bad-n-Blue

I finally got my problem solved ,after racking my brains over and over. I finally went to a local heli meet figuring to hit some one with lots of Electric knowledge and so I did.I was able to swap batteries and motors and came to the concullsion it was my ESC after all.

The night before I purchased a Phx link usb for my computer and reset the Phx25 ESC.It was to no avail .Default and a known 3-d set up still produced 2 phasing..After swaping some stuff around I decided to get to the LHS and get a Hacker ESC which I did and it ran like a charm.

Well know I,m going to wait for my Phx to return so I can build another Model ,sounded like a good excuse to me.

Scotty H No blame on the Pheonix ESC it just must have been a nad apple.