Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

Flatouts Reflection came today, have some questions/issues

Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Flatouts Reflection came today, have some questions/issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 03:02 PM
TomatoFURY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flatouts Reflection came today, have some questions/issues

Well my GP Flatouts Reflection just arrived from towerhobbies with a Rimfire motor, ESC, servos, reviever, and a Lipo pack, infact everything needed to fly it but my radio. I had some questions and issues and I hope you guys can help me out.

First, the foam is nice but very slightly curved probably due to packaging or manufacturing. Nothing serious, just slightly curved as expected. I was wondering if I should just leave it and let the carbon fibre rods straighten it out or if I should do something, and if so, what should I do?

More serious, I goofed a bit on the battery and as I've never worked with a Lipo some stuff is not what I expected.

Firstly the connector is wrong and is a Deans connector, however the one on the ESC is a micro connector. This is the adapter I need:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=PR&I=GPMM3127 (Great Planes Deans Micro/Deans Male Ultra Adapter)

However, I don't want to wait for it to come and probably my dad wouldn't order just for that. Any way to home make it without editing the battery or ESC, and if not, how should I make it? It should be removable. We probably do have some connectors lying around my dad can solder onto it. Should I be worried about current?

Also a could-be problem, my battery is a 910 mAh 7.4v 15c discharge battery, however a 11.1v one is recommended. Will this battery work? What is the preformance loss? I'm running the recommended brushless upgrade Rimfire motor and a 12a Silver Series ESC. I want enough power to hover and do harriers at least for now, also what will the flight times look like?

lastly Ive heard about someone recommending I move the tail surfaces back 1 inch and someone else recommending cutting off the landing gear. I'm not about to do anything like that unless there's a good reason, so does anyone know anything about this? Should I be worried?

And help would be very greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:27 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Flatouts Reflection came today, have some questions/issues

Flatouts foam is very brittle unless they've changed the formula recently. Be very careful in flattening the sheets. The carbon should hold it flat, but gentle heat from a hair dryer can be used to soften the foam slightly. Just try it out on a test piece first before you go melting holes in the real thing! Lay on a flat table, heat, then weight down with books for about an hour. It should end up flat as a pancake.

The adapter is easy to make if you've got the connectors, wires, shrink tube, and solder. But, you need the right connectors, so if you don't have them, and need to order, you may as well get the adapter.

A simpler solution would be to replace the plug on the ESC with the one that matches the battery.

HOWEVER, you may want to get a different battery. The one you chose will be very disappointing in performance. Volts are your cubic inches in the electric "engine" (the motor, ESC, and battery), and you're trying to power this plane with a 175 I4 when it needs a 350 V8. Literally, power will be about half. No 3D capability. Vertical will be poor. It'll be a nice flyin' around plane, just not aerobatic. However, it will fly forever on that pack...
Old 09-20-2007, 09:46 PM
torien

Default RE: Flatouts Reflection came today, have some questions/issues

The prior poster hit most your questions. I thought I would chime in with a couple suggestions has I just put this plane togther last weekend. First off the quality of the hardware is the worst I have ever experienced...not a good thing to go cheap on to save weight imo. Anyways onto some constructive comments.

1) Those "Z" Bend plastic pieces that you have to fit through the plastic control horn are CHEAP and EASY!!! to break. Clean off extra plastic from mold so you have a easier time getting it though those control horns. Good luck, also don't give you extra's lame in the extreme.
2) When inserting the Carbon Fiber rods in to the "Z" Bend pieces you will likely break the carbon fiber unless you reem out the plastic hole a little to allow the rod to move freely into it and then drop a bit of CA on it to hold it in place.
3) For some reason they decided to put the control horn about 1/4 inch from the edge of the foam. I had 2 of these break the foam when in flight. I would recommend trying to reinforce the surround foam with some extra Depron or similar foam.

Good luck!