Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Motor Pulses..

Old 09-18-2007, 04:24 PM
codimasta
My Feedback: (89)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Pulses..

[8D] I have developed a problem with my E-Flite Ultra Mini Stick.....On the Ground the motor sounds great..steady...However when I am airbourne...the motor...starts to pulse..
I have replaced the speed control...no change, Replaced the battery..no change. Could it be the motor E-Flite 450 Brushless or something else. Timing or PWM Frequency ????

Codimasta
AMA 11269
Old 09-18-2007, 04:33 PM
bobferguson

Default RE: Motor Pulses..

What form of lvc does your esc have. Some start pulsing the motor when at or below the lvc. If you throttle back does quit pulsing.

ORIGINAL: codimasta

[8D] I have developed a problem with my E-Flite Ultra Mini Stick.....On the Ground the motor sounds great..steady...However when I am airbourne...the motor...starts to pulse..
I have replaced the speed control...no change, Replaced the battery..no change. Could it be the motor E-Flite 450 Brushless or something else. Timing or PWM Frequency ????

Codimasta
AMA 11269
Old 09-18-2007, 06:21 PM
codimasta

LVC ???? When the model is in the air...I get a wooooo....wooooo....wooooo sound. If I hold on to the model and throttle up
it sounds normal... woooooooooooooooooo it is hard to explain..I hope this makes sense,

Thanks,
Codimasta
Old 09-18-2007, 06:38 PM
bobferguson

LVC is low voltage cutoff. When some speed controls see low voltage on the battery they pulse the motor to warn you to land. If that is what is causing it you should to throttle right off for a few seconds than throttle up again. It should run ok again for a few seconds till battery again reaches lvc and starts pulsing again. You should get the same problem if you run it on the ground at full throttle for a minute or two.

LVC ???? When the model is in the air...I get a wooooo....wooooo....wooooo sound. If I hold on to the model and throttle up
it sounds normal... woooooooooooooooooo it is hard to explain..I hope this makes sense,

Thanks,
Codimasta
Old 09-18-2007, 07:28 PM
codimasta

[8D] I wish it was that simple....this just happen after about 6 flights...2 flights per day....
I am using Thunder Power 2100 ma @ 11.1 v...the batteries are fully charged 12.6v....changing packs did not correct the problem.....here is something really crazy...the pulsing stops just for a second while I roll it or loop it ????
I think its the motor ???? Cut off voltage is set at 9V

Codimasta[]
Old 09-18-2007, 08:12 PM
bobferguson

You got me. Check your prop is not to big or weak. I have a E-Flite 450 and had never had that problem. Other than being sure the motor is not over proped I am out of ideas.

[8D] I wish it was that simple....this just happen after about 6 flights...2 flights per day....
I am using Thunder Power 2100 ma @ 11.1 v...the batteries are fully charged 12.6v....changing packs did not correct the problem.....here is something really crazy...the pulsing stops just for a second while I roll it or loop it ????
I think its the motor ???? Cut off voltage is set at 9V

Codimasta[]
Old 09-18-2007, 08:17 PM
mrasmm

you might also check if there is any short in the wires or something. You could have an intermittent continuity problem, like cracked solder, hot and melted solder, not a big enough surface area to put the amount of current through that you are looking at. too small of gauge or wire, or something like an intermittent short within the insuation of the wire, just a couple of ideas of things to check out =)

You might also check the radio signal, like have someone walk away with the Tx while you are holding the plane and see if it could be a range or interference problem. I guess none of the other servo's go crazy or anything, just the throttle.

Are your batteries getting hot? Do you have a watt meter to tell how far the voltage is going down under a load?