Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

GP Lancair EP Brushless??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Kevlar
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GP Lancair EP Brushless??

Hey Gang,

I recently picked up a Great Planes Lancair ES EP that comes standard with a T-400 brushed motor, 30A esc, and a 1800mAH NiMH battery. Here are the specs from the website (http://www.electrifly.com/speed400/gpma1165.html)

Wingspan: 43 in (1090 mm)
Wing Area: 36.5 in² (15.3 dm²)
Weight: 26-32 oz (735-905 g)
Wing Loading: 15.8-19.4 oz/ft² (48-59 g/dm²)
Length: Length: 31 in (785 mm)
Includes: Speed 400 motor with gearbox, 30 amp electronic speed control, 1800mAh NiMH battery, spinner, and prop.
Requires: Requires: 4-channel radio w/4 micro servos & charger

I would like to convert this over to brushless and lipo, but being a Nitro guy – haven’t a clue wear to start on the lipo end. Did get the following on trade and was wondering if any combination of these items would work better than the current brushed configuration.

eFlite 400 BL Motor
eFlite 20A BL ESC
Himaxx 2812-850 BL Motor (might be a 890, forget now, will have to look)

Based on preliminary research, I believe the Himaxx would be the better choice of motor but it’s rated at a 15A esc…would the 20A cause over current problems for that motor? What about a lipo if that configuration is okay. I was thinking of an 11.1V @1200 – 1500 mAH. Should/could I go higher in mAHs? What the C rating? 8C, 10C, 15C.....

Anyone have experience or thoughts on this subject. Are these motors even worth pursuing based on the model – or should I get something bigger like an eFlite 480?

Thanks!
Wiqar
Old 05-14-2009, 11:18 AM
jonan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Lancair EP Brushless??

Wiqar - I recently purchased the Lancair ES and after assembly, it wouldn't take off. CG was checked and ok, battery fully charged, prop was turning at 5600 rpm, wheels rolling free. The plane just wouldn't reach enough speed to take off from the runway. Have you flown yours? Jonan