Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Hyperion E-meter PC Interface cable

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:54 PM
1972dodge
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyperion E-meter PC Interface cable

I just purchased a Hyperion E-meter and I wondered if you really need the Hyperion PC interface cable (HP-PCCABLE) to use the meter and software. Is there any common cable I could buy, or make, that would allow me to interface my laptop and the meter with the E-meter software? My laptop DOES HAVE a serial port so it should be simple. Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 04-22-2008, 12:19 AM
Gregor32

Default RE: Hyperion E-meter PC Interface cable

the hyperion cable has a pic chip in it for the interface, it converts from a 4 pin plug to a d9 so you will need the hyperion cable, i had to buy the cable to do a software update on my emeter as it would not talk to the new version speed controlers, that is the only time ive used it, tho you can program the speed controlers as well. i cant remember if the up date info was somewhere on here or rc groups ezone, do some searches. regards Greg
Old 04-22-2008, 10:55 PM
1972dodge

Thanks for the info...I bought the meter used (I don't have it in hand yet) so I may need to update the firmware also. I'll probably buy the cable but it looks like you have to get the USB version now. Is the program not worth messing with?
Old 05-07-2008, 01:03 AM
Gryphon

1972dodge,

With my Hyperion E-meter connected to the computer 2 or 3 times I played around with it a little bit.

It took a bit of trial and error to get it to work, I just winged it, and it is not very fancy or sophisticated but it can be useful.

I did graphs like watts versus RPM, and as I would increase the throttle one notch at a time, you could see how the watts graphed versus RPM, etc.....choice for graphs were many.

You can plot amps versus volts and as you increase the throttle and the average amps go up, you can see that the volts go down.

Lots of neat ways of getting a live graph.

In my case it was a serial cable, which was then connected to a generic store bought serial to USB adapter cable that had its own software. Everything installed straight forward.

When I moved to East coast 2 of my boxes didn't make it. Guess what....I don’t have either cable now.

***we need to check that the single Hyperion E-meter cable with USB end fits our original version meter, Otherwise we might have to get the Hyperion serial cable and then get the generic serial to USB cable each at $20-$25 if I remember right. Hey that is $40-$50 in cable. I rather spend the money for the second cable towards getting a new V2 meter and sell my original E-meter.

By the way E-meter rocks, you'll love it.

It is amazing how badly they have blown the release date of the NEW V2 E-meter.

Gryphon