Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

AXI motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 03:57 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AXI motor

Hi ALL,

I bought this AXI motor a few years ago for a great price from my LHS. Now I see why.

Interesting point 1:
There are no holes drilled or tapped for a bolt on prop adapter. It came with a collet style adapter.

So I've contacted Hobby Lobby and was told that the shaft can not be pressed through to the other end,
so I'm stuck mounting it either behind the firewall or with stand offs.

Interesting point 2:
The motor mount that was included will bolt to the motor but the mounting tabs
are not long enough to allow stand offs to clear the can.

Does anyone have a AXI 2808 motor mount they can measure and tell me the overall width & length.
Mine is 1-9/16's both ways.

Thanks in advance,
John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84279.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1080371  
Old 11-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: AXI motor

The mounts for the 28 series motors are 1 9/16 both ways as you measured. See the diagrams. If there are no holes for the prop adpater on the part that turns then you have a defective motor. They should be there and the screws to attach them.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66524.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	1080407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13322.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	1080408  
Old 11-28-2008, 05:36 PM
wahoo

Hi Red,

Thanks for the reply but I've talked to Hobby Lobby and they told me that the motor I purchased quite a few years ago did not come with the holes drilled and tapped for the 3 bolt prop adapter.

My radial mount is 1-9/16ths end to end, that's about 40mm.
The new motor mount according to the model motors website is 50mm (GREAT) trouble is it comes with the 3 bolt prop
adapter and costs $17.00.

http://www.modelmotors.cz/img_det.ph...AXI2808RMS.gif

I emailed Hobby Lobby again and asked if there was anyway of getting a motor mount without the prop adapter.
We'll see....

John
Old 11-28-2008, 05:40 PM
wahoo

Hobby lobby emailed me back:

"John,
I am really sorry but they are packaged up and sold as one inventory item.
I can't have it broken apart and sold as pieces.
Robert is my boss by the way.
So he is my lead.
Regards,
Jay Burkart

No help there so I guess I either spend the 20 bucks or make my own. Great support there huh ?
Old 11-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: wahoo

Hi Red,

Thanks for the reply but I've talked to Hobby Lobby and they told me that the motor I purchased quite a few years ago did not come with the holes drilled and tapped for the 3 bolt prop adapter.

My radial mount is 1-9/16ths end to end, that's about 40mm.
The new motor mount according to the model motors website is 50mm (GREAT) trouble is it comes with the 3 bolt prop
adapter and costs $17.00.

http://www.modelmotors.cz/img_det.ph...AXI2808RMS.gif

I emailed Hobby Lobby again and asked if there was anyway of getting a motor mount without the prop adapter.
We'll see....

John
I had a typo, it should have been 1 9/16 just as you measured. I don't how they came up with 50 mm which is 1.968504, nearly two inches.

Agree. Not very good customer service on the part of Hobby Lobby, of course they are not really responsible for design changes or products probably made prior to their handling the AXI line. It all depends on how the product was sold at the time, what was specified.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:43 PM
wahoo

That added 10mm on their new mount is all I'd need to use stand offs and mount the motor the way I'd like to. In front of the firewall. Instead I'll have to see how much trouble it will take to make air scoops and ducts to get cooling into the motor compartment. Gotta love taking a brand new ARF and have to bash the crap out of it. Had I known Hobby Lobby wasn't going to help me out here I would'a never bought this plane.

If they won't break up one of their "packages" and just sell me the radial mount thats fine. If they only knew how much money in the long run that $17 "inventory item" is gonna cost them in the long run. They lost me as a customer.

So much for customer support,
John
Old 12-01-2008, 10:18 PM
wahoo

OK I guess I jumped the gun a little here.

The plane I purchased has not been delivered yet but from looking at pictures of it
on the net I thought I would need to use the radial mount and stand offs.

Well I was able to find the manual for it online and low and behold..... it uses a stick mount.

I have a stick mount for an AXI 2208/XX and the bolt holes are the right spacing at
19mm x 16mm but clearance is an issue from the can to the part of the mount that attaches to the stick. If I turn the mount around the prop will not clear the mount.

Does anyone know who makes a larger stick mount then the one sold by Hobby Lobby ??
Old 12-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Dr Kiwi

The Cobri Rotating Case mount suits larger diameter motors (35mm, maybe 36mm OD) and 19mm bolt holes: http://www.e-flightline.com/
Old 12-19-2008, 05:10 PM
wahoo

Thank You Dr Kiwi,

I took a chance and got two of them and it was just what the doctor ordered (so to speak).

I bet you never heard that one before, huh ? LOL

Thanks again,
John