Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

disable the Bec. for big twins ep?

Old 04-01-2009, 06:16 AM
skrez
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disable the Bec. for big twins ep?

Hi Guys,
I`m interested in buying the BH models Mosquito EP which is a 60 size EP twin. I have read that it is recommended to disable the Bec., and use a 3rd esc. Is this nessary? If so, how do you go about doing this? Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Frank
Old 04-01-2009, 06:59 AM
BigTb17

Default RE: disable the Bec. for big twins ep?

It depends on how you are going to set it up. But most likely you will use a seperate ESC for each motor and either use a Y connector to plug them both into the throttle channel of the receiver, or plug them into seperate channels and use mixing run them both. Either way they would both be plugged into the same receiver and you wouldn't want the BECs to cause issues with each other. If you only disabled one BEC then you could get slightly different outputs from the ESCs, which could cause problems in a twin setup. So the safest thing to do is to disable both BECs and simply run a seperate, standalone BEC, or a receiver battery.

As far as disabling it, some ESCs have a programming option for disabling the ESC. If they don't, all you have to do is remove the red wire/terminal from the receiver connector on the ESC and fold it back and tape it up (or cut it, etc.).
Old 04-01-2009, 09:31 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Depends on what ESCs you have. The Castle Creations ESCs have BECs that can be ganged together, so you can just Y the two together and it will double the effective BEC current output for your RX/servos. Castle has a good article in their newsletter about twin setups (see page 2):

[link=http://www.castlecreations.com/media/castle_scribe_archives/Castle%20Scribe%20CE-03-Mar2006.pdf]Castle Scribe Newsletter - March 2006[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96256.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1170565  
Old 04-01-2009, 04:13 PM
DaveFlynn

What motors and ESC's are you planning to use?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:11 PM
skrez
My Feedback: (15)

Dave,
The motors that they recommend are (2) Quantum 2814/06 kv 1290, and castle Thunderbird 36 esc, 9x 4.5 props. I would use a (1) TP 3s5000 pack
Frank
Old 04-02-2009, 11:25 AM
DaveFlynn

I think that will be under powered unless is comes in at 5 lbs. I recommend 3525/07 670 Kv motors with the CC HV-30 ESC's, 9x5 or 9x6 props and a 6S1P 3200 pack(2 3S1P's in series). Each motor will draw about 20-24 amps static and 8-12 in the air.