Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

ESC capacitor question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Bleebs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC capacitor question

Hi all.

I've just finished converting a .40 nitro plane to electric, and the layout required extending the ESC battery cables by about 10cm.

I realise that I need to add another capacitor in parallel at the ESC side to cope with voltage spikes, but how do I work out what size the capacitor should be?

Here's all the detail I have, and hopefully one of you clever people can help me out.

Turnigy Plush 80A ESC.
Cont Current: 80A
Burst Current: 90A
UBEC Mode: 3A/5v out
Voltage Range: 5.6v ~ 26v

I'm going to run a 5AH 5S lipo at around 50A full throttle.

Cable extended with high quality 10 AWG wire.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Bleebs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESC capacitor question

Okay, did a bit of digging on the net and it seems I need 2 x 25v 330µF low ESR caps in parallel.

But, I can only find 330µF 25V Axial Electrolytic Capacitors, or 470µF 25V LOW ESR capacitors for sale.

Would it be bad to use the 470µF caps instead?

EDIT: Found and ordered Panasonic EEUFM1E331L low ESR 330µF 25v caps from a supplier in Australia (part number 1219469 at http://au.farnell.com/ - in case anyone else is looking).

Case closed.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:34 AM
ron_van_sommeren

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: ESC capacitor question

25V capacitor rating is low for the max. voltage your controller can handle (=26V). Voltage spikes are higher than battery voltage. Use same voltage rating as original capicitors. But in your case, since you are running at 5S and not at 26Volt, 25V voltage rating for caps should be okay, as long as you don't use more cells in series. Higher capacity (470uF) is also okay.

Guess you have seen the text below before ...
For other readers/lurkers, here it goes ...
All ESC manufacturers say the same, long battery wires is not a good idea, will cost you your controller. Extend motor wires instead. Add extra ESC input capacitors if you must extend battery wires.
ESC manufacturer statements, workarounds, rules of thumb, manuals:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=kill
Vriendelijke groeten Ron