Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Magnet glue

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:15 PM
cyborg1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnet glue

Hi All,

I just noticed that 1 of the magnets attached to the can of my brushless motor is sticking out below that can. I removed the can and moved it back into place, but I'm wondering if I should glue it in? If I have to glue it in, what glue should I use? As it is, the magnet seems to have moved back into its slot, and appears locked in position again. Also, the can moves forward during acceleration. Is this normal, or should I lock it down tightly so that the can doesn't move during acceleration? Thanks.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:17 AM
ron_van_sommeren

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Magnet glue

If magnet is broken you can just glue the pieces back together. Use clothespins to keep them in place.
Seal magnet with glue/lacquer if it's chipped otherwise magnet will turn into something mushy due to moisture in the air.

Method for glueing in magnets, use a good quality slow epoxy.
Magnet orientation matters!

http://www.torcman.de/index_e.htm
-> downloads
-> Assembly Procedure TM280, 350, 430
-> chapter 3

Make sure you glue them in alternating: N-S-N-S-N-... (see animations below)

Prettig weekend Ron

More motor animations and simulations:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216928

Old 08-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was talking to a vendor at the recent Windy City Jets and he told me he doesn't trust the adhesive used to hold the magnets in Chinese motors so he automatically re-epoxies them with a good quality slow cure epoxy. He simply smears the epoxy on the magnets and works it in with his fingers. If I remember correctly, he then inserts the stator and spins it to level out any high spots. Removes the stator and cleans it with an appropriate solvent.
Walt
Old 08-28-2009, 09:35 AM
ron_van_sommeren

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

It can also be a magnetcoating problem, coating may have detached from magnet.

Prettig weekend Ron