Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Cyclone battery size?

Old 07-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Draggy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cyclone battery size?

Hey guys!

I am going to purchase a Cyclone CS 480-2500 40 edf, 1400 W max. at 22.2 v. I wondered what size battery would be most efficient for this edf? The advertisements rate it at 1700 gms. with a 6 blade at 58 amps. and 1680 gms. with a 5 blade at 54 amps. I had planned to use 2 11.1 lipos, connected to a 60 amp esc. I have some conservative estimates as to the mah of the battery. But I wanted some input as to the c rating of the battery, and the motor's needs. I have heard people have used 2400, to 3400 total mah for the lipo, but have not heard if they use 20 c for each battery, or higher/ lower? Any ideas guys? Any help and opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks again,
David.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:37 PM
jdetray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cyclone battery size?

A 2400 mAh battery rated at 20C can provide a maximum current of:

2.4 x 20 = 48 Amps (not enough if you need 54 or 58 A)

A 3400 mAh battery rated at 20C can provide a maximum current of:

3.4 x 20 = 68 Amps (possibly enough; see below)

It is important to note that the C rating of batteries is often measured by battery makers under ideal conditions that are not representative of the conditions under which we use the batteries. To give yourself a safety margin, it may be a good idea to discount the claimed C ratings somewhat. Some RCers use 80% of the claimed C ratings.

- Jeff