Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Astro 010 a good replacement for 400?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 04:34 AM
dadzilla-5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Astro 010 a good replacement for 400?

Hi - to all motor gurus - is the Astroflight 010 at 124 dollars with speed control a good deal as a replacement for the speed 400? I want to primarily get longer flight times with the same packs, but added power would be nice too. Can I reasonably expect to get better flight times and more power with this set up versus a stock 400 and controller - and if so, how much better? Or, for the same money, is there a better set up to look at? I am flying a Terry with 7 cell 600Ae packs right now, and I wonder if the Astro 010 would fit? Thanks for your comments!
Old 07-08-2003, 11:58 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While this approach using the 010 might work, it seems a bit risky at the price.

If your primary concern is longer flights and a secondary concern is to have a bit more power, I would recommend changing your flight pack.

The 600AE NiCd cells are old technology. You can replace them with many new types of cells. One example is the HECELL from eDogFight.com. The HECELL is a 1000mAh NiMH cell that weighs the same and is the same size as your 600AE cell. This would almost double your flight time.

Another NiMH cell that works very well is the KAN 950mAh cell from Diversity Model Aircraft. Similar size and weight to the 600AE cell.

For a hugh jump in battery performance, try a 2-cell or 3-cell Kokam 1200HC pack from FMA Direct. The 2-cell pack would give you equal voltage to your 7-cell NiCd pack but have a 1200mAh capacity and weigh only 2oz compared to your 5oz NiCd pack. You would be doubling your flight time while dropping 3oz in your Terry!

Note that you can also parallel 2 of these 2-cell packs to create a 4oz, 2400mAh Lithium pack. This is still 1oz lighter than your NiCd pack but provides 4 times the flight time!

You would need a special Lithium charger for this pack like the Kokam Lipo-402.

Good luck!
Old 07-09-2003, 02:08 AM
dadzilla-5

Default Thanks for the excellent info!

Thanks for your input - I think I Will have to try the hecells. I am not quite up for a new charger yet!
Old 07-09-2003, 10:40 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you made a good choice.

I usually recommend jumping from NiCd to NiMH cells first but I wanted you to see that battery technology has come a long way in the last few years.

Soon, Lithium Polymer cells will likely become the norm for e-flight packs. I have several planes that can fly from 30-60 minutes.

Regards.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:20 PM
dadzilla-5

Default I did try nihm but

Hi again, I did try nihm batteries in a larger speed 400 - they were AA 8 cell packs of 1800 MHA - my model did fly longer but the engine got so hot that the "zagi" sticker on the speed 400 can actually was smoldering on one landing - and the next flight the motor packed it in. (The next flight was the following day)Other fellows have suggested going to a a gear drive to run cooler, because I had already cut lots of ventilation into the motor compartment. Actually the 8 cell nihms probably did not make it run hotter than the 8 cell 2/3A pack I also use - probably it was just that it ran longer and so heated up more. I will have to get those out and try again, but of course not in the Terry as they are too heavy for it. Thanks again for your input!
Old 07-09-2003, 08:25 PM
Jason Beach
My Feedback: (4)

You may look at the MP Jet 25/35 bl motor from Hobby Lobby.
With ESC it is a bit more expensive, but with a 8cell KAN 950 pack I get about 12 minute flight time average.

Jason
Old 07-09-2003, 08:49 PM
dadzilla-5

Default I am surprized

I am actually a bit surprised that no one who owns the Astro 010 put up a post, I would have liked to have heard from you guys who own one to see if you liked it or thought it was a good speed 400 replacement. I checked out the mpjet - looked good, until I checked the controller price, and then I had to back up a bit. It is a good deal I'm sure, but with hobby dollars in short supply I think maybe a geared 400 with KAN950 packs? Thanks to all who replied!
Old 07-09-2003, 09:36 PM
sierra gold

Default AF 010

dadzilla-5,

I have an AF 010 installed in a Slow Stick. It replaced the GWS EPS 300 that came with the plane. That motor is a 370. The AF 010 is mated to a GWS gear box sold by AeroMicro.com.

Running the same gears and spinning the same prop(12x6) the Af 010 on 8 cells is hardly more powerful then the 370. Putting on a 10 cell pack it runs much stronger and is IMHO about like a good running geared S400. It is more efficient and lighter, so I get more flight time I'm sure. I really like the AF 010 in the Slow Stick.

I think that to get more power than an S400 you really are looking at an AF 020 or a Hacker B20. More $$$$

To make the AF 010 perform like an S400 you need the 10 cell packs, which I doubt you're using on an S400.

Hope that helps.