Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

BL Speed control acting goofy

Old 12-03-2009, 04:09 PM
jstickley
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BL Speed control acting goofy

I have a bp hobbies 30a speed controller, and I have never ever had any issues with there stuff up until now.

Ijust converted a yardstik to brushless, and upon hooking everything up, the motor spun the wrong way. So i reversed two wires and it started to spin the right way.. i went full throttle, and it shut off.. now it wont spin the CCWdirection that it needs to, however, if i reverse the original two wires, it will run perfect CW.

Aside from swapping out a speed controller, and getting a counter rotating prop, what can i do?
Old 12-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: BL Speed control acting goofy

Try different combinations of motor to ESC wires. The pundits say it doesn't make any difference, but in my experience it does. My 53XX MPI motor will "stutter" with the wrong combination. I don't know why, but it does.
Walt
Old 12-04-2009, 12:41 PM
alaursen

Default RE: BL Speed control acting goofy

Does the motor connect with a connector or do you solder them in place? Reason I ask is that if soldered, and they had been shortened, sometimes the varnish does not clean from all the individual winding wires so some get power and others do not. This leads to stuttering.

Reversing just two wires is all that is needed because the motor is either "delta" (triangle), or "wye" wound. In either case, one lead is the reference and can stay put. It is the sequence from this reference to the other two wires that sets direction. Say your wires are arbitrarily numbered 1,2,3 and that 1-2-3 connectiongives CW rotation, then 1-3-2 would be CCW. You can visualize this by looking at the numbers and see that the direction reverses when you count the sequence 1,2,3. Looking at 1-2-3 makes a circle with the top edge rotating to the right. whereas 1-3-2 is a circle in the opposite direction.

Try the same visualization by switching wires 1 and 2 this time and leaving 3 alone. Now you have 2-1-3 so the top edge of the circle goes left instead of right when counting 1,2,3.

Hope this helps!

Art